Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Black Hills Trip

Old 05-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Black Hills Trip

Just returned Sunday afternoon from hunting a few days in the Black Hills. The weather was good and this being my second year out there I picked up a few tips from Borch and others which I'm very thankful for. Ran into a few henned up birds the first day, got burned by a gobbler I called in on the 2nd day, and the 3rd day was a charm!! I had worked two birds earlier in the morning and although they both came very close I couldn't get a shot. Then found another hot gobbler on a hillside and he was moving to my left along the top gobbling as he went. I went down the road farther and made the ascent to the top of the hill. He showed up just as I reached the top but was over the hill and my calls weren't stopping him. I snuck around a cliffside and beat him to his next destination. I called and he gobbled. I then spotted him going thru some pines and he stepped into the open. The Remington was singing a tune he didn't want to hear and down he went. He was a young bird...probably 2 year old. 8" beard, not much for spurs, and 17lbs. Beautiful birds and country to boot. Had a great time. Now I work two days and then head down to SW Wisconsin for my WI/MN combo. Have a combined 6 days to take one in Wisconsin and one in Minnesota. Can't wait....
Old 05-09-2005, 08:48 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Black Hills Trip

Congrats! Nice bird!

Gotta love the Black Hills, huh? I've never hunted out there - yet - but I've spent a lot of time there. Can't beat it.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. That had to be a very fun time.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome, nice bird, Congrats
Old 05-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Great bird! I just got back from SW.Wiscoscion yesterday.I took a nice longbeard on the 6th. The birds are responding real well to the calls.Late morning the birds are working great as the hens seem to be nesting big time. We found some lonesome gobblers first thing in the am also. I hunt in zone 2 around Boscobel. How about you? Good luck down there!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:07 PM

Man I Went To Black Hills 3 Weeks Ago It Snowed 5 Days [:'(]
Old 05-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, the Black Hills is a fun place to visit and especially that time of year before the Touristos invade!!

Paintbrush, I'd heard from my Wisconsin hunting partner that they were getting some birds over there. I hunt out of Sparta and am going solo this year as my partner messe up on the app process. This isn't the first time and it seems he needs hand holding when going thru any application process!! The weather isn't looking good for this week but as long as the wind stays down I'll be happy. Nothing worse than heavy wind and rain as they seem to disappear.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:16 AM

Hey There ironranger,

Congratts on the dandy gobbler!

A couple of friends and I were out there May 2nd through the 4th. Had a few close encounters but came home empty handed.