Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Plucking vs skinning?

Old 05-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Plucking vs skinning?

Which way do you perfer and why?

Also, does anyone have an easy way to pull out the little stubs left on the birds when plucked, especially the ones on breast bone?

We will be deep frying the bird so does it even matter about those little stubs?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 08:44 AM

Default RE: Plucking vs skinning?

I don't deep fry, so no advice there. I always cut out the breast meat and discard the rest of the bird. Easiest thing to do is cut open the breast skin and peel the skin off. Then cut down both sides of the breast bone (the middle crease). Slice it off of the ribs and you are finished! Should take all of about 5 minutes at most.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:11 AM

Yep, what Criggster said!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

We always deep fry and have done it both ways but we prefer to pluck the bird. That way the skin stays on when it's deep fried and the meat stays moiste....As a matter of fact, we just did our recent turkey last weekend. Of course it was shot by my son...heaven forbid dear old dad should tag....But, maybe my luck will change early Sat am.....
Old 05-14-2005, 04:44 PM

I always skin mine:because I don't deep fry my wild birds(Isave that for the butterballs).I also use all the bird. I can't understand why you guys want to throw away all that good eating.I mean,if thats your way I am not knocking you.I just don't understand.

I hang my bird by the neck and pull all the skin and feathers off.then lay the bird on its back,push down on the thights and they pop down. then run a knife down each side of the breast bone,along the ribs and peel the breast meat out.cut the wings off,the legs off.then gut the bird(if you haven't already)cut the curcuss into 4 sections.

I slice and fry the breast,the rest is put into a crock pot with an onion and a couple or carrots salt and pepper,garlic powder and cook over night. the next morning remove the meat and strain and save the liquid.
cook 3 eggs to hard bioled,peel and chop dice a large onion, chop 3 ribs of celery.
Cook 2 cups of rice with the liquid you saved.chop the meat,add the other ingreidents with the dressing mix of you choise.add some of the liquid you saved cook at 350 degree untill the onions are done and the dressing is to the dryness you like it.

if you ever cook the remains like this,you will never throw another away , I grantee you that!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

I always skin my bird's
The last couple years Iv'e been filleting off the breast meat then package it seperatley
put the two thigh's into a seperate bag the the drum stick's into there own bag,Makes it nice and easy for meal preperation.