HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black Hills Trip
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:30 AM
ironranger
Typical Buck

Default Black Hills Trip

Just returned Sunday afternoon from hunting a few days in the Black Hills. The weather was good and this being my second year out there I picked up a few tips from Borch and others which I'm very thankful for. Ran into a few henned up birds the first day, got burned by a gobbler I called in on the 2nd day, and the 3rd day was a charm!! I had worked two birds earlier in the morning and although they both came very close I couldn't get a shot. Then found another hot gobbler on a hillside and he was moving to my left along the top gobbling as he went. I went down the road farther and made the ascent to the top of the hill. He showed up just as I reached the top but was over the hill and my calls weren't stopping him. I snuck around a cliffside and beat him to his next destination. I called and he gobbled. I then spotted him going thru some pines and he stepped into the open. The Remington was singing a tune he didn't want to hear and down he went. He was a young bird...probably 2 year old. 8" beard, not much for spurs, and 17lbs. Beautiful birds and country to boot. Had a great time. Now I work two days and then head down to SW Wisconsin for my WI/MN combo. Have a combined 6 days to take one in Wisconsin and one in Minnesota. Can't wait....