Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk in the black hills

Old 02-29-2004, 05:34 PM

Default elk in the black hills

hey guys, i am looking into hunting elk in the black hills of wyoming or south dakota. has anyone hunted them? or does anyone here live in that area? just looking for advice. its a really interesting area. we hunt turkeys in wyoming near aladdin and sundance and have hunted them in SD near spearfish. thanks for any help.
-kyle
Old 03-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: elk in the black hills

I just found out yesterday that I didn't draw my Wyoming Black Hills Bull tag for next fall. I figured I only had about a 7% chance of drawing one, but I really felt like I was going to get lucky, oh well, there's always next year. Wyoming will let non-residents hunt in the Hills, but South Dakota is kind of snobbish, they only give residents a shot at them. I hunt deer in the SD Hills every fall, and I just love it. It would be great to be able to take an elk out there as well. By the way, the deadline for applying for a Wyoming elk tag was Jan. 31st.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a small farm 50 miles east of the Black Hills in SD. The SD elk herd is growing in numbers and there are some tags for the prairie region. I think at this time though it is just a resident thing. As the population grows the will most likely start issuing some non resident tags. I have never applied for one but I should start as several of my friends have been lucky enough to draw tags and when you do the success rate is very high.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

James B- How open are land owners in your area when it comes to letting people hunt on their land? I drive through that area a few times a year, and would love to hunt mulies or antelope there. ( sorry to steal this topic)
Old 03-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Much of the land in western part of the state is tied up in lease lands and ranch sponsered hunts. In some areas there would be no problem getting permission to hunt does. The country is overrun with does. Mostly because of the pay hunting. They only allow four point or bigger so the doe Populatiion has gone wild. The biggest population of deer is along The Chyenne and Bellfouch Rivers and all along the big river on both side of Pierre. When I get moved back out there I may be able to line something up. My wife is working up here in ND so I am here most of the time.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:49 AM
car
Typical Buck

I was hunting turkey last fall in the black hills and run across 2 bull elk, rag horn and a 5x5. Also I didn't get drawed. Sent in for deer and antelope. car