Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 PM
  #61  
Boone & Crockett
 
Charlie P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,137
Default

70 Yards

Hevi #5 50%

Hevi #7 10%

Lead 5%


How may shots are you guys taking at 70 yards? 10% with # 7's means you took at ten shots at that range and 20 shots with lead shot with 1 kill????
Charlie P is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 01:48 PM
  #62  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 637
Default

Originally Posted by Charlie P View Post

How may shots are you guys taking at 70 yards? 10% with # 7's means you took at ten shots at that range and 20 shots with lead shot with 1 kill????
his numbers are made up. none of us have taken those shots and there was not a study or data collection done to get those numbers. he was trying to prove his point with the numbers he thought was right. and in all seriousness there is no way in hell anyone should be shooting at a turkey without a 100% so even his beloved hevi 5s (according to his numbers and even though his numbers are not correct the pattern falls off way to bad at that distance) should never be attempted at that distance.
snapper1982 is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 PM
  #63  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 156
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Todd, the gobbler I shot at 76 yards I took home and skinned him completely, he had 16 6's in the head and neck, and quite a few in the upper breast area.
RR
A voice of reason! I'm just waiting for the "children might read this and shoot 70 yards your a terrible turkey hunter you couldn't possibly have a more effective set up than me posts"
bghunter777 is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM
  #64  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 637
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Todd, the gobbler I shot at 76 yards I took home and skinned him completely, he had 16 6's in the head and neck, and quite a few in the upper breast area.
RR
16 head/neck means nothing. how many of those 16 actually hit the brain or spin because those are the only ones that count. which is the reason we strive for 100 in a 10 circle. obviously all those pellets will not strike a turkey but it gives a dense enough pattern to make sure a few strike the brain/spine. your 94% in a 30 circle means nothing when with todays chokes and loads it is easy to get 100% in a 20 inch circle at 40 yards. my gun does it and I only have the choke that came with the gun from the factory. but that does not mean that I have a 75 yard turkey gun. curious how many birds you have shot at 75 yards since you have never lost one. turkeys are killed every year at extreme ranges obviously by you on purpose and by the OPs friends on purpose, many more on accident. none of us has said it can not be done but all of us has said it is not ethical. and on to the OPs original post of questioning the effectiveness of hevi 7s. well now you have a guy on your side saying that he kills birds consistently with lead 6s at 75 yards, well hevi 7s carry their energy better and hit harder than lead 6s so if lead 6s can do it hevi 7s can do it better.

oh I would still like to see patterns at 75 yards.
snapper1982 is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 PM
  #65  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Brad C., I have no idea who you are or what your thinking, or even why your so caught up in pellet count.
That being said, as you stated you can't learn when you already know it all, here is what I bring to the table, since I started turkey hunting in 1974 I have taken 162 turkeys, over 100 of those were taken with a custom built valmet 412 with a mark bansner turkey predator choke that measures .632, mark developed this choke to pattern at least 90% in a 30" circle at 40 yards, mine will consistently pattern at 94% using federal premiem 2 oz loads, like I said I have taken turkeys to 76 yards with it, I never had one get away wounded, and I will with confidance kill them at 75 yards and none of your numbers mumbo jumbo will change that. now I suggest you back off the banter till you can prove that nobody can kill turkeys consistently at the ranges. If there is a problem I can contact a mod to moderate so to speak.
RR
Well I don't care who you are or if you killed 500 turkeys if you think lead 6's will kill a turkey at 76yds your fuller than the horse you rode in on. You can contact a mod, won't hurt me any. But I know one thing if the mod is a true turkey hunter he probably will tell you to go tell your 75yd 162 turkey bs to someone that might buy it. I don't care if the Pope made your choke and blessed it 10 times over it ain't gonna make a choke do what the unthinkable. The same goes for the Federal Premium 6's. I used to shoot them myself. But I know the limits of the load and my choke and gun. 6's in lead will run out of power to kill much past 50yds.

That's the best one I have heard yet. And you call yourself a turkey hunter. You need to to shovel your trash talk somewhere else where maybe someone will be dumb enough to believe your bs.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-18-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Brad C. is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
  #66  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 637
Default

Originally Posted by bghunter777 View Post
A voice of reason! I'm just waiting for the "children might read this and shoot 70 yards your a terrible turkey hunter you couldn't possibly have a more effective set up than me posts"
none of us have complained you have a better setup. I honestly think that my setup is way superior to yours because I have more pellets with way more than enough energy and a tighter pattern so I put way more hits on target. but you are right about the posting of such shots. while you and ridgerunner have shot your guns and are confident with them to your ranges(which I do not agree with) the fact remains most people do not shoot their guns and pattern them. they do not realize how much things can be off. they think that since it is shot and it has a bunch of pellets that they can just go shoot and kill no matter what the range.

example.
couple years ago. I pulled into hunt a place. while getting stuff rounded up. a car pulls in. guy gets out. I walk back to find out details on where he planned to hunt. we chat for a minute and he proceeded to tell me that he missed a bird a couple days prior. then tells me it was at about 50 yards. ok now doubting he actually missed but rather sprayed the bird and hit it in nonlethal areas. we chat. I ask about his gun. he pulled out a Mossberg 500 with a smoothbore slug barrel and a scope on it. no the barrel was not threaded. it was a smoothbore slug barrel which ment the "choke" is nonexsistant and the barrel is cylinder bore all the way out. I said is that what you used. he said yes. I said did you shoot it with turkey loads. he said no it is sighted in for slugs and they are smaller so it ought to be sighted in. there is no way the guy missed completely at 50 yards. no doubt a few pellets found the bird just in nonlethal places. I asked why he tried a shot that far and he said because he was told those shells could kill at that distance.
snapper1982 is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:21 PM
  #67  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 161
Default

You finish with one long range killer and here comes another. They must have some kind of tree here that is growing all of these internet wannabe's.
Brad C. is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM
  #68  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 637
Default

ridgerunner, again how many of those 16 hit brain/spine. and sir you do not know my credentials at all. I have killed many birds and been the contributing factor in around 200 kills. most guns were set up by me. the whole point of the 10 circle is exactly what you stated. a bird moves his head or the shooter is not lined up proper. so a nice even 10 circle with 200+ hits and there is no doubt that bird is dead. btw I use a scope. beads are a whole topic in themselves and have no place in turkey or deer hunting.
and yes I say 16 in head/neck mean nothing. the only pellets that matter is the ones in the brain/spine and bottom line the tighter the pattern the better the odds of putting the most hits in the brain/spine
snapper1982 is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM
  #69  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
whatever brad, I've done way more stuff with firearms than killed turkeys, I know what they are capable of, you say I'm talkin trash, prove it or shut up! just cause you say it, don't make it so. I know what I've done, and folks here know that I'm not one to lie and BS, I just tell it like it is.
RR
Well I say prove to me your Bansner choke that shoots so dang good. Let's see some of those wonderful super tight patterns at 40yds from that 75yd gun. Wait let me guess you don't have any to show right now. We have heard that one before. So many guys on here have got the long range cannons, but yet none want to Show-Me the patterns. Could you back up your talk at the range with that Bansner .632 choke and that gun that shoots like a cannon? I just got a cheap 835 28" barrel and a old $20 Star Dot .676 that I would be willing to put money against any gun you want to grab and shoot turkey loads with.
Brad C. is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:30 PM
  #70  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 637
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
but as a second thought, if your so sure copper coated lead 6's have no power at 75 yards, tell ya what we can do.
Take a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood, cut a 12" hole in it, stand it up, stick your bare posterior through it and I'll be glad to demonstrate what they are capable of from 75 yards away, just tell me what weekend to be there
RR
first off there is no need to start talkin stupid about shooting someone. if you cant take the heat get off the forum!

second I did not say they did not have it. I used your thread to illustrate to the OP (because this thread has gotten off topic so you may need to go look and see what it is supposed to be about) that hevi 7s have enough energy and it is proven fact that hevi 7s have more energy and hit harder than lead 6s at the same distance.
snapper1982 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.