Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Banned

very true about the choke/gun. but there is also going to be another factor in that a 2oz tss load will have less pellets than a 2oz hevi load of the same shot size. and you are right there are no guarantees. the only almost guarantee I know of is if you got an 835 and can get an original stardot. you will get some awesome patterns. lol
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

"If your limit is truly 40 yards save your money and buy some Wally world Remington Nitro lead #6s they will kill every turkey just as dead as any of the high dollar loads at close range."

That works for me...My Browning B-80 loves those Remingtons...I checked my ego at the door years ago on taking long range shots on game...When I shoot, something dies, quickly...

The rush in hunting for me is how close you can get to the game animal without them knowing you are there...Not on how far your equipment will kill something...Woodmanship, skill and knowledge are an acquired trait and often overlooked by those that don't possess those skills...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
"If your limit is truly 40 yards save your money and buy some Wally world Remington Nitro lead #6s they will kill every turkey just as dead as any of the high dollar loads at close range."

That works for me...My Browning B-80 loves those Remingtons...I checked my ego at the door years ago on taking long range shots on game...When I shoot, something dies, quickly...

The rush in hunting for me is how close you can get to the game animal without them knowing you are there...Not on how far your equipment will kill something...Woodmanship, skill and knowledge are an acquired trait and often overlooked by those that don't possess those skills...
you are right they will kill but as has been said in the beginning your gun must pattern them well enough to kill. PB(lead) is a lot harder to get good patterns with and HTL(heavier than lead) is a lot easier and will give better patterns. plus you can drop down shot sizes to add more lethal hits on target.
so advantages to lead
-cost
advantages to HTL
-pattern
-per pellet energy
-easier to get a good pattern
-gives you a huge buffer for range misjudgment

I have killed a number of birds(and deer) and only 3 birds have been past 45 yards. so even shooting HTL it does not mean you have to or are looking to kill way out there. some of us are just looking for better patterns with better penetration. I used lead up until this year. after what I personally saw with my pattern and then 6 birds being killed with my rig I will not go back. only one of them was past 40 @44. hit a bird with lead at 40-45 and you better make sure you get on him (seen several "dead" birds get up even though they had been hit in the skull or spine, the lead simply did not break the bone). hit one with HTL at that distance and there is not a doubt it breaks the bone.
plus the guys that choose to shoot HTL really don't care that it is costing them a few bucks to shoot a bird. really what is a few extra bucks when compared to the other costs of hunting. most guys spend more than that in just gas to drive to a hunting spot. tags/license, calls, decoys, camo, none of these costs are ever offset no matter how long you hunt because killing a turkey does not make you money(unless you are in the hunting industry) so weather it is the 1st or the 100th with a certain decoy it still cost $ _____ the same to kill that turkey. I know I do not care that it cost me $5 more per turkey than it does someone who shoots lead because I know my confidence is higher and if I accidently misjudge him by 15 yards there is still no doubt he is dead.
hope this did not come off as a rant. it was not intended to be

Last edited by snapper1982; 05-21-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default hits

all these high powered pellets, deep penetration and dense patterns all tend to lead to turkey hamburg and why would you want to have that, it's one thing to brag about or enjoy shooting a turkey but there ought to be something left for the table, none of these loads shoot tight enough past maybe 30 yds. to keep the load out of the breast. want long range shooting try prairie dogs or grow up and try hunting

cheers
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 14 ga
all these high powered pellets, deep penetration and dense patterns all tend to lead to turkey hamburg and why would you want to have that, it's one thing to brag about or enjoy shooting a turkey but there ought to be something left for the table, none of these loads shoot tight enough past maybe 30 yds. to keep the load out of the breast. want long range shooting try prairie dogs or grow up and try hunting

cheers
Too Funny!!

Oh I love me some turkey hamburgers !!!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 14 ga

cheers
I feel you speak from opinion and little expierience I have shot many turkeys w Hevi shot 5 I think most would agree a pretty high energy pellet at all ranges from 15-55 and have seen them shot out to 75. Turkey feathers and wings do an amazing job at keeping the majority of these pellets out of the breast when you aim for the neck. I think a much greater chance or ruining the breast would be on a closer shot where your point of aim is a little low. From my expierience with modern chokes and shot it is rare to find more than a few pellets in the breast at any range.

If we get in to TSS or the micro high energy shots you may have a valid point as I have heard those shots due to size penetrate feathers quite nicely. But have not shot them personally.

Also if one has the equipment the ethically take a turkey at say 50 yards who are you guys to judge them or accuse them of being less of a hunter or taking the enjoyment out. Not everyone goes by your rules! and would it be possible they enjoy their hunt just as much as you.

No one gets on a forum and tears people up for being outdated stuck in the past hunters who are to cheap to invest in a weapon that shoots past 30 yards. A guy may choose to take a gun capable of shooting a turkey at 50 yards and he may choose to even use that weapon it does not make him less of a hunter.

Last edited by bghunter777; 05-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bghunter777
I feel you speek from opinion and little expierience I have shot many turkeys w Hevi shot 5 I think most would agree a pretty high energy pellet at all ranges from 15-55 and have seen them shot out to 75. Turkey feathers and wings do an amazing job at keeping the majority of these pellets out of the breast when you aim for the neck. I think a much greater chance or ruining the breast would be on a closer shot where your point of aim is a little low. From my expierience with modern chokes and shot it is rare to find more than a few pellets in the breast at any range.

If we get in to TSS or the micro high energy shots you may have a valid point as I have heard those shots due to size penetrate feathers quite nicely. But have not shot them personally.

Also if one has the equipment the ethically take a turkey at say 50 yards who are you guys to judge them or accuse them of being less of a hunter or taking the enjoyment out. Not everyone goes by your rules! and would it be possible they enjoy their hunt just as much as you.

No one gets on a forum and tears people up for being outdated stuck in the past hunters who are to cheap to invest in a weapon that shoots past 30 yards. A guy may choose to take a gun capable of shooting a turkey at 50 yards and he may choose to even use that weapon it does not make him less of a hunter.
nor does it mean that he will use said "weapon" to shoot past the golden 40 yards. heck there are guys that carry 30 caliber rifles for deer and they do not shoot past 100 yards even though their choosen weapon could shoot many times that distance if they wanted to.

very few pellets strike breast. I would rather cut a few pellets out of the breast than spend hours looking for a bird that is wounded.