Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kdsberman
Not to stir things up, but PERSONALLY, the day I take a shot at a turkey past 50 yards is the day I quit calling myself a turkey "hunter".
Your entitled to feeling that way that is what makes hunting great we all get to do it a different way.
I have shot targets at 50-60 yards I don't have 10 inch circle counts but I can tell you your not putting a turkey head anywhere in the center of the pattern without the turkey being killed. I have shot roughly 30 turkeys prob a few more that is what I can think of and only ever not killed 1 distance did not play a factor as i simply missed when trying to double. That seems like a good ratio but maybe you guys get them all. I will always struggle to believe #7s give you any advantage based on my years of turkey hunting if they work well for you at the distances you shoot then I am glad you have found a set up that works. I am simply saying from my gun w a hevi shot choke tube at 50 yards the center of my pattern will kill a turkey 99 out of 100 times nothing is ever certain. Not that i'm advocating it and have never personally shot a turkey past 55. i feel a full load of 2.25 ozes of 5s give me a better opportunity at killing a bird past 55 yards 100% no and that is the reason I have passed on shots at those ranges in the past.

If I mistakingly judge a bird for 55 and he is 65 I would rather have #5s in the gun than #7s admitedly maybe this thinking is off and #7s are a better choice. I realize we are now talking about distances most should probably not be attempting as they are not 100% with any set up I am simply talking in hypothetical as stated earlier

0-50 yards 100% of turkeys die with 5s or 7s out of my set up maybe others dont have a tight enough pattern and need the added pellet count of 7 shot.

Beyond 50 yards the percentages are higher with 5s IMO than 7s and I think this is where we differ in opinion and thats ok we will agree to disagree and we also both agree that these are ranges most should not be taking shots at however in the event that it happens I would rather have a load of str8 5s than a blend and only having 1.5 or less oz of 5s.

On that note maybe it was a complete fluke and the pellets magically found the correct place but this season I was a witness of two birds attempted to be killed at 65 and longer and both times the birds where taken at those ranges the closer of the 2 right at 65 almost flipped the bird over. I do not believe the same result would have taken place with #7 shot but I could be wrong.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Well at least now you are starting to see that luck played a huge roll in those longer shots. I challenge you to go and take those magical Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #5's and shoot at a turkey target taped to the center of a big backer piece of cardboard at a legit 60yds and show us your honest results here. Now you say you have done it already but don't have any 10" counts. I'm from the Show-Me state. That's all I ask. And remember I ask you to be honest. I'll show you the turkey target I would like you to use.

http://www.springstrutters.com/image...target222a.jpg

Shoot 3 shots and post them all at 60yds.

God will know if your lying and so will I.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

And I would also like to see the densest part of your pattern and draw a true 10" circle around that part of each pattern.

Your about to get educated. I'm gonna prove to you the difference in luck vs the truth to a legit 60yd turkey pattern.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-17-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Brad C.
And I would also like to see the denset part of your pattern and draw a true 10" circle around that part of each pattern.

Your about to get educated. I'm gonna prove to you the difference in luck and the truth to a legit 60yd turkey pattern.
I'm not going to get educated my friend you are way to caught up in pellet counts. I'll be completely honest I have shot my gun in the past at 40-50-60 yards and feel confident I couldnt fit a turkey head in the center of my pattern without killing it. I can also tell you I am confident I'm not driving 3 hours to where my guns are kept keeping in mind I live in Liberal NYC "thats another can of worms" to prove something I already know to someone on an internet forum. Will you get a bettern pattern with smaller shot absolutely but will that smaller shot have the needed 2lbs of KE to break a turkeys neck that is debatable. My point from the begining is at longer ranges you have a higher percent chance of taking a turkey with 5s vs 7s. Keeping in mind that % is not 100% so luck would play in to the mix and is probably why most hunters do not advocating such shots.

If you hit a turkey with 130 pellets or 30 pellets in the neck Dead is Dead 100% of the time inside 50 yards but move that out to 60 yards and 50 pellets of 7s none may lack the necessary KE to kill the bird where as 10 pellets of #5s although not 100% and will never meet your standards of a true 60 yard pattern still much higher percent than #7 shot when 0 of them have the necessary KE I don't care how many you have if they arent penetrating what is needed to ethically kill the bird. it comes down to KE not pellet density. Assuming pattern density of 5s at least meets the minimum at the point where 7s run out of energy whether its 45-50-55 yards I'm not certain.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

You can't educate those that know it all. If I were you I would just stay off of public forums since you are simply put a fountain of misinformation. And that goes for your buddies who are promoting the crap your saying here as well.

I already told you before about show-me and talk is talk. Sometimes you got to learn to walk the walk and to prove yourself and what you say. One day maybe somone who you blow your lies too will put you in your place when it comes time to back up your windy stories, and that's what they are.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

But I would say it's safe to say that you already did a pretty good job of it here to let most folks know your full of it.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

But I would say it's safe to say that you already did a pretty good job of it here to let most folks know your full of it.
Your criteria for judging doesn't make all others wrong. Learn to objectively look at a situation. You should stay off a public forum for the simple reason of lacking an ability to understand any other logic than your own. You are so wound up in your stupid ways that you can not even look at another side. I completely understand what you are saying but what I am saying holds another view.

Think of it this way #7 hevi 13 lacks the necessary KE "roughly 2lbs" at say 60 yards so even if your 40 pellets hit the turkey they do little more than sting him where as #5 does have the energy to break its spine say 10 pellets hit it but all 10 have the KE to kill it. I'm not advocating shooting 65 yards but simply stating one has a higher likelyhood of killing a turkey with a larger pellet "assuming a high quality specialized choke". This is not hard logic to understand you may disagree with the principals because you are leaving some chance of not hitting the bird in the vitals due to pattern spreading out. I understand your point of view but it is incorrect in this situation. You resort to personal attatcks and stating "all of you are idiots" I'm not saying your 100% wrong If someone showed me the KE from Hevi 13 #7 shot and that it is still sufficient at these ranges I may change my mind.

You don't seem to understand any concept other than what you have already decided on. a full load of #5 shot is giving you a better chance at breaking a turkeys neck at say 65 yards than a full load of #7s thats all I'm saying. 100 #7s if they are all low on KE don't do you any good where as 25#5s may. If you disagree with that statement then we have come to an inpass and we can move on. Again I repeat over and over I'm not advocating 65-70 yard shots I'm simply stating if one where to take a long range shot the larger pellet gives a better chance at killing a turkey. On the contrary a shot at 50 and under the larger and smaller shot kill equally as well dead is dead whether you hit it w 50 pellets or 150 pellets. I'm not sure your intelligence level or ability to follow a concept but what I have stated makes reasonable sense. You lash out with childish remarks and accusation that add little to a discussion. Post a few 40 yard patterns and call it good. I'm not talking about 40 yards every modern load will work at 40 yards. If 40 yards is truly a limit then don't waste your time on expensive shells they all work!

I am talking about small diameter pellets such as #7 adding little value with my set up. At any reasonable distance #5s work equally as well again going back to the principal of dead is dead 50 pellets in the neck work as well as 150. But if I where to shoot farther I would rather have twice as many 5s then 4times as many 7s from the simple standpoint of all the 7s are almost useless beyond 55 or 60 yards where as most of the 5s although less in number can kill the turkey.

I'm not sure why you continue to attack me as stated with over 30 kills I have only ever pulled the trigger one time and not taken the bird home I'd struggle to believe the ethics police could say the same thing. further I gave a real life example of what I witness and you continue to attack regardless of if you don't believe I saw two birds taken at 65+ and both dropped like rocks doesnt mean its not true. If you choose to reply please save the personal attacks for someone else it degrades the post and the discussion I truly have enjoyed hearing others state their opinion and have really taken it with an open mind of maybe I'm going about this all wrong. I am simply trying to present a side of this argument you don't agree with and I however feel makes perfect sense. We have moved into the realm now of Hypothetical as you nor I have taken shots beyond 60 and only I have witnessed turkeys being take at those ranges.

Conclusions:
should we shoot 60+ yards? No, almost no load on the market works 100% of the time at those ranges

Do 5s and 7s kill equally as well under 60? out of my set up I feel yes you may disagree 30 pellets is as dead as 130 pellets

If someone where to shoot over 60 yards what load would have a higher likelyhood of killing the turkey? "the larger pellet in this case #5s"
Old 05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

30 pellets in a 10" at 60yds out of any gun ain't no 60yd gun. Sorry dude but I ain't wasting no more words with your propaganda.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

30 pellets in a 10" at 60yds out of any gun ain't no 60yd gun. Sorry dude but I ain't wasting no more words with your propaganda.
The numbers are just for example and not actual counts nor was it intended to be in a 10" circle but simply to give an example of logic.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hit a turkey with 130 pellets or 30 pellets in the neck Dead is Dead 100%
The problem with this analogy is that you aren't going to hit a turkey with 30 pellets in the head and neck at 60 yards with number 5 shot. You aren't going to hit him there with 15. You probably won't hit him with 10. And keep in mind that a much, much, smaller percentage of those head and neck hits are going to actually (maybe) hit spine or brain. Only spine and brain hits matter. Pellets that go through his beak, waddles, or skim his neck don't amount to a hill of beans.

At 60 yards with number 5 shot you are spraying and praying hoping for a golden BB as they call it to land in the right spot. Can it happen? Sure, but the odds suck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.