HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
snapper1982
Banned

Originally Posted by bghunter777
A voice of reason! I'm just waiting for the "children might read this and shoot 70 yards your a terrible turkey hunter you couldn't possibly have a more effective set up than me posts"
none of us have complained you have a better setup. I honestly think that my setup is way superior to yours because I have more pellets with way more than enough energy and a tighter pattern so I put way more hits on target. but you are right about the posting of such shots. while you and ridgerunner have shot your guns and are confident with them to your ranges(which I do not agree with) the fact remains most people do not shoot their guns and pattern them. they do not realize how much things can be off. they think that since it is shot and it has a bunch of pellets that they can just go shoot and kill no matter what the range.

example.
couple years ago. I pulled into hunt a place. while getting stuff rounded up. a car pulls in. guy gets out. I walk back to find out details on where he planned to hunt. we chat for a minute and he proceeded to tell me that he missed a bird a couple days prior. then tells me it was at about 50 yards. ok now doubting he actually missed but rather sprayed the bird and hit it in nonlethal areas. we chat. I ask about his gun. he pulled out a Mossberg 500 with a smoothbore slug barrel and a scope on it. no the barrel was not threaded. it was a smoothbore slug barrel which ment the "choke" is nonexsistant and the barrel is cylinder bore all the way out. I said is that what you used. he said yes. I said did you shoot it with turkey loads. he said no it is sighted in for slugs and they are smaller so it ought to be sighted in. there is no way the guy missed completely at 50 yards. no doubt a few pellets found the bird just in nonlethal places. I asked why he tried a shot that far and he said because he was told those shells could kill at that distance.