Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend? >

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

In the name of correct information the graphic on hevishot.com says 30 yards 7s 55 yards 6s 75+ 5s from what Iv learned they have that backward shouldn't it be flip flopped
Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bghunter777
I think the hevi shot website has a nice little graphic for us all 7s 40 yards 6s 50yards 5s 75+ I'm sure you know what I'm talking about it may even be on the magnum blend box I'm not sure
our point is not that they do not have the energy. it is that they do not have the pattern density. truth be told hevi 5s probably have the energy at 90 yards but not the pattern.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I think the hevi shot website has a nice little graphic for us all 7s 40 yards 6s 50yards 5s 75+ I'm sure you know what I'm talking about it may even be on the magnum blend box I'm not sure
That little graphic is a joke and should be taken off their website. It's there to increase the hype on their shells and get people to believe that you can consistently kill turkeys at 75yds. And I'm not gonna go there with you again.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by snapper1982
our point is not that they do not have the energy. it is that they do not have the pattern density. truth be told hevi 5s probably have the energy at 90 yards but not the pattern.
Seems pretty irresponsible of hevi shot to advertise something like the then? You guys better send them some emails and boycott what if a child logs on and sees that
Old 05-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned

RR. there must be a lot better info available today because no one shoots or recommends that tight of constriction for turkey loads. the chokes like that is card shooter chokes now a days. and I suspect that the reason it works in that gun is as you stated. it is a sleeve. so you get a very even uniform forcing cone right into the choke so it gives the shot colum way more than enough time to transition and allows for way less deformation in lead loads.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
snapper your possibly right, but why fix what ain't broke, and I'm still workin on the 250 rounds of fed. prem. 6's I bought in the mid 90's, your loads run 5 bucks a pop, mine are 60 cents.
RR
Well they also won't pattern like the Hevi-13 loads will. Nor will they kill as far. But I know some say they can. Let's just forget about those 75yd turkey shots and let's just call it a day. I'm game. No more talk of long shots and we can put all this talk what was said behind us.

Call it a truce.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by snapper1982
RR. there must be a lot better info available today because no one shoots or recommends that tight of constriction for turkey loads. the chokes like that is card shooter chokes now a days. and I suspect that the reason it works in that gun is as you stated. it is a sleeve. so you get a very even uniform forcing cone right into the choke so it gives the shot colum way more than enough time to transition and allows for way less deformation in lead loads.
Bansner is old school technology with lead. His best days have come and gone since Hevi-Shot was introduced. It blew his lead guns away since its introduction and it continues to blow them away now.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
snapper your possibly right, but why fix what ain't broke, and I'm still workin on the 250 rounds of fed. prem. 6's I bought in the mid 90's, your loads run 5 bucks a pop, mine are 60 cents.
RR
actually my load is a little over 6 a round. but that to me is but a small price to ensure no wounded bird. and next year when I go to TSS 9s my per shell cost will be around $9. I shot lead 5s and 6s for ever. this is my first year with hevi. I know lead will kill and I know it will even kill at 57 yards. yes I did it. by accident. grossly misjudged due to a dip in a field. and there is no need to fix it if it aint broke. I wouldn't be shooting hevi if I still had my 870s because they loved lead. one put mid 130s in 10 at 40 with 5s and the other did mid 130s with 6s.

but like I said. hevi 7s hit harder than lead 6s. so if lead kills at 75 then so will hevi 7s. I however will never find out.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Seems pretty irresponsible of hevi shot to advertise something like the then? You guys better send them some emails and boycott what if a child logs on and sees that
Your exactly right.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brad C.
Well they also won't pattern like the Hevi-13 loads will. Nor will they kill as far. But I know some say they can. Let's just forget about those 75yd turkey shots and let's just call it a day. I'm game. No more talk of long shots and we can put all this talk what was said behind us.

Call it a truce.
yep Truce sounds good to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.