Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Back tension question >

Back tension question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Back tension question

Old 04-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Back tension question

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

When you get it back,you should be able to remove your thumb from the post and then start squeezing your shoulder blades together.

Do not use your fingers to fire the release.
So take my thumb off the peg? And dont roll my hand back on purpose? I'm guessing when you squeeze your shoulder blades together this will naturally take the release back a little bit?
Yes,the squeezing of the shoulder blades should rotate the release,NOT the fingers.
Gotcha. How long should i practice before actually shooting my bow at like 20yrds? I've been practicing at like 4ft from the target. I guess I mean what is the normal for getting used to the release enough to shoot at a distance?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 6 months

To be honest,a several weeks.Then I would move to aiming drills and then putting it together.

I made the switch 1 winter and practiced all winter in my garage on nothing but close range shooting.I did incoorporate some aiming into it but at really short distances.IMO,just too boring if all you are doing is shooting.MOSTLY blank bale though.I did continue to hunt with my wrist release but that was a completely different setup at the time.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM

About 6 months

To be honest,a several weeks.Then I would move to aiming drills and then putting it together.

I made the switch 1 winter and practiced all winter in my garage on nothing but close range shooting.I did incoorporate some aiming into it but at really short distances.IMO,just too boring if all you are doing is shooting.MOSTLY blank bale though.I did continue to hunt with my wrist release but that was a completely different setup at the time.
I figured it will take some getting used to. I will shoot at short distances for quite a while, and use the string everyday. I hope I end up liking using back tension. I can already see how it makes you concentrate on the shot more, but hopefully I wont overthink the shot. I am about to get into our 3d season pretty good, with already 4 shoots that I have been to. Will switching back and forth from BT to a thumb release( true fire hunter) affect my shooting? Anyway Thanks for all of your help and I will keep you posted on how I am coming along in the future. Thanks again guys!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot my best switching from the bt during the week practicing to using my handheld for tournaments but my releases felt almost identical to me in my hand.I have gone ahead and switched to the bt full time but I am really not that serious about my shooting anymore.I am using it to ensure I don't let bad habits creep in like they have the last 2 years from not shooting tournaments.