Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back Tension?

Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Back Tension?

Can someone please explain how/which muscles accomplish this to create the "surprise" release of the arrow I've heard described before?

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back Tension?

The muscle most associated with back tension is the Rhomboid.

Shane
Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

While you continue to concentrate on aiming, you keep pulling through the shot with your back muscles until the trigger is tripped on your release, wether it be an index finger release or a true BT release. Both require a slighlty different approach asfar as hand placement is concerned. There are lots of threads on here about this, try using the search button.

Shane
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

This was the best discussion I have seen on this subject.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2011735

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=453861

Old 08-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think when we talk about pulling through the shot, many people wind up using their deltoid muscles and never get into their back muscles. That's why they don't understand back tension. They simply never get the back muscles involved and never get the feel.

They seem to get a better feeling for back tension by trying to push the elbow straight back from anchor.

Some get the idea better by trying to visualize squeezing an orange between their shoulder blades.

Some have to try both at the same time.

So pick up that imaginary bow and get to work.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you planing on hunting with a back tension release???
Old 08-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

That's irrelevant but some do it.I don't reccomend it though.

One must understand what a good shot feels like and back tension is the best way to gain accuracy.Wheather they are hunting or competing.You may speed the process up for hunting but all will benefit from a good release.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

One must understand what a good shot feels like and back tension is the best way to gain accuracy.Wheather they are hunting or competing.You may speed the process up for hunting but all will benefit from a good release.

It's not irrelevant DA... Who in there right mind would use a back tension realease to hunt with... Oh let me guess All the guys who's deer are easy come easy go... I keep forgetting that All the world class archers hunt private property... My Bad
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM

There are two muscles mainly used in executing a back tension shot. They are the Rhomboids as stated above and the Levator Scapula.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

It's not irrelevant DA... Who in there right mind would use a back tension realease to hunt with... Oh let me guess All the guys who's deer are easy come easy go... I keep forgetting that All the world class archers hunt private property... My Bad

He is trying to figure how to get a surprise release which is what all shooters should strive for,even hunters.Him using a back tension release for hunting is irrelevant to that.

I also stated I don't advise it.

One must learn proper bt to get the surprise release.

Once you learn proper bt,then you can learn how to command a shot in a hunting situation without punching and still be executing a good shot.

Quick Reply: Back Tension?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.