Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Back tension question >

Back tension question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Back tension question

Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Default Back tension question

I just bought a Tru Ball Tru tension 3 finger release, and I am having trouble with it. The directions are not to great about how to set it up. It has a metal half moon that can be adjusted for less and more travel, but I'm not sure how get it set up properly. I tried it out of the box and it would go off at half draw. I think it was because I was putting too much pressure on my ring finger tho. I may or may not have hit myself in the lip...lol Anyway now that i can draw it with no problem I cant get it to go off for the life of me. I tried squeezing my shoulder blades together, pulling through the shot, and neither one made it go off. I'm sure it takes some getting used to, but I'm not sure that it is set up right to begin with. Any help would be great!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back tension question

First thing I'd recommend is to make a loop that you can use that matches your draw length instead of trying to learn this thing on a bow. Use the loop to figure it out and then move to the bow.

Without seeing you in person it's very difficult to give you more advice. I'd recommend getting a copy of "Core Archery" by Larry Wise, it's a great read and will help get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Matt

Thats the same one I bought a few weeks ago. I've only played with it a few times and I will commit after turkey season is over. Question, are you still using your ring finger to get the bow drawn back? From my limited experience, you should just be using your index finger and thumb around the thumb post to draw the bow. I'm guessing that if you can pull your bow back with your middle and ring finger on the release then you have too much travel set whichis making it hard for the release to go off.

Like I say, I'm new to the whole "back tension" release thing.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

its very odd at first. i started shooting a bt about a month ago. draw with most of the pressure on your index and thumb, with slight pressure on your middle finger. when you try to release it, let the tension go from your index finger to your ring finger. thats the only way i can explain it for you first starting off. its very different, but if it released while in draw there should be nothing wrong with it mechanically.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks guys! I agree with the string idea Matt. I just haven't been able to get to walmart yet to get some string. The release just got here today, so i havent had much time to play around with it.

Update: I can now get it to go off by rotating the pressure from my index and middle finger to my middle finger and ring finger. I then try to use my back muscles to mack it go off also. It seems to be working, but this might be cheating.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

You aren't still holding pressure on the thumb post when trying to fire it are you?

I agree completely with matt.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

You aren't still holding pressure on the thumb post when trying to fire it are you?

I agree completely with matt.
I'm sure I'm not putting as much pressure as I should be if im letting it roll back huh?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you get it back,you should be able to remove your thumb from the post and then start squeezing your shoulder blades together.

Do not use your fingers to fire the release.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 PM

When you get it back,you should be able to remove your thumb from the post and then start squeezing your shoulder blades together.

So take my thumb off the peg? And dont roll my hand back on purpose? I'm guessing when you squeeze your shoulder blades together this will naturally take the release back a little bit?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

So take my thumb off the peg? And dont roll my hand back on purpose? I'm guessing when you squeeze your shoulder blades together this will naturally take the release back a little bit?
Yes,the squeezing of the shoulder blades should rotate the release,NOT the fingers.

Quick Reply: Back tension question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.