Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 back tension release and a solid back wall >

back tension release and a solid back wall

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

back tension release and a solid back wall

Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Default back tension release and a solid back wall

I was thinking about getting a bt release, but after talking to one of the shops about it the tech told me he is hearing that because of the solid back wall it is harder to get the proper release with them. He said there is not enough play in the string. Any one else hear this theory?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:47 AM

Default RE: back tension release and a solid back wall

i went to school with larry wise to learn bt. he suggested a spongy wall, like a hoyt wheelie, was his favorite for using it. i shoot a bowtech with a solid stop and found it difficult to master without causing some shoulder issues. some guys on here like the solid wall for it. i didn't, and don't, and the fellows i've talked to who shoot back tension where i live don't like it either.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:11 AM

I can't get good back tension without a solid back wall.

If I were shooting a bow with 55% letoff, I think I could do it, but I have to have something to pull against at full draw in order to get my release arm scapula to work right.

There are several different techniques for shooting back tension and they all require a little different set up from the equipment.

Since you are in Pennsylvania, I recommend that you take Larry's class at Lancaster Archery to start back tension. Larry also give private lessons at his home. A good coach like Larry will save you a lot of time learning BT.

Good luck,
Allen
Old 09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a tip for those with a draw stop (Bowtech's).

I took a Sims Insulator strip (like pictured below) and chopped a short 1/2" section out of it and put in on the limb where the draw stop peg contacts the limb. The peg now contacts this small strip and has a little give to it before hitting the dead solid limb. I now have the extra sponginess I like for my back tension release. It helped me a lot, you guys should try this.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:08 PM

very nice rick. as soon as season is over and i get the pure bt release out again i will certainly give that a shot.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally removed the draw stop peg from my Hoyt and it made it just a touch spongier.