Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain lions, in PA or NY? >

Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Old 09-10-2005, 10:05 PM

Default RE: Mountain lions, in PA or NY?( in reply to stupidmaid)

Thought it was time I update my story with a pic. This pic was taken by a neighbor near to the farm where I saw the mountain lion. This person did not know that I reported seeing the cat. All I know now is that several people in the area have reported seeing this cat. The man took this photo thru the door on his deck.
I apologize for the pic not being better - but it is a pic of a photo printed on plain paper.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

how about................ no.

i got that pic in an email (along with 4 others of the same cat) nearly 2 years ago.

nice try!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

That Cougar on the back porch really gets around.

A similar situation is now going on near Hornell in southwestern New York. Mountain lion sightings have been rampant there the past couple of weeks, so much so that a local newspaper ran a news story that started with, "The presence of mountain lions in the area remains an unconfirmed reality among wildlife experts." I am still not sure what "unconfirmed reality" is, but I do know that, after reading the article, there are credible people down there who, as in those sightings I have written about up here, swear they saw a cougar. There is even a Web site with two photos of a cougar supposedly on someone’s patio in Hornell that comes with the e-mailed caption, "How would you like to see this guy on your back porch?"
That writer also claims that on a day of one cougar sighting, a DEC representative "confirmed it was a cougar." The writer adds that the DEC person confirms, "There are at least 10 cougars living between Hornell, Corning, N.Y. to Wellsboro, Pa."
I checked with DEC, and, though they are sympathetic to those who called in cougar reports, they want hard evidence. What about that photo? Isn’t that proof enough? Turns out that that photo of the cougar on the patio has been circulating on the Internet for a while and, before Hornell, had terrorized the cyberspace in parts of Michigan before migrating to New York!
One line from that so-called Hornell Web site would do any campfire storyteller proud. It reads, "Watch your back if you have a camp or cottage in the area." I only wish my computer had a screensaver that looked like flickering flames of a campfire. I would probably slide my chair a little closer to the monitor.
The setting for telling campfire stories may have expanded since I was a kid, but some of that same old imagination and mystery still remain.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

He was also in Maine.

ELIOT, Maine — Every now and then, photographs like the ones given to Wildlife Officer Robert Gagne begin circulating, starting rumors and giving rise to the debate about whether there are cougars in New England.
The pictures, supposedly of a cougar on someone’s back porch on Birch Hill Road in Eliot, were passed to Gagne early last week.
Gagne in turn gave them to state biologists, who confirmed the animal in the photo was a cougar, but again remained skeptical about a sighting that far south.
"They said it was definitely a cougar in the picture, but whether or not it comes from Maine is something we’ll have to determine," Gagne said recently.
Gagne said he couldn’t find any tracks, markings, scat or fur in the area of Birch Hill Road on March 30 when he walked the area of the alleged sighting. He discovered Monday the exact same photographs had surfaced around this time last year.
State biologists Wally Jakubas and Randy Cross gave Gagne the bad news.
"It is a disappointment, to say the least," Jakubas said Tuesday.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:01 AM

Well that's the pic that was given to me. So they lied to me.... DAMN! I will have to say something about that. Sorry...
However, my story is still true......even if the pic isn't.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:35 AM

Default RE: Mountain lions, in PA or NY?

Todays paper

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=398160&category=REGIONOTHER& amp;BCCode=LOCAL&newsdate=9/13/2005
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

looks like a grainy picture of a bobcat , to me.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 PM

It looks like it has a long tail, but the pic is terrible so who knows.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

is this horse dead YET??????

face it - there MAY be cougars in the area(s)
good proof is non existent
if/when i see one, i will believe (and if i'm lucky, i'll get a pic)
there is no reasonable theory that says they CAN'T be here. there are alot of conspiracy theories that say they are here. i am open minded and think they could easily be roaming, but don't think for one minute that they were released by the "black ops". pets, natural migration is what i would put my money on.