Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in NY?? >

mountain lions in NY??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in NY??

Old 07-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default mountain lions in NY??

Am I behind the times here? Has anyone else heard about the mountain lions in NY? I have firsthand 99.9% accurate account of a mountain lion that was shot just south of Buffalo, NY. Rumor has it that there are more around through a deal with Montana for some Turkeys. Anyone else know anything about this?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: mountain lions in NY??

NY, I will be watching to make sure "certain few members" do not let this topic go south as others did with the post I believe Farm hunter posted on the subject.[&:] Great topic....but it only takes a few to ruin any topic, which IMO is not only direspectful to the original thread starter, but uncalled for! Please think prior to posting folks. I am sure that the individual thread starter and mods would all appreciate it!!
Old 07-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just out of curiosity..... how would a topic like this get out of hand? People may think I'm a lunatic?[:-]
Old 07-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Trust me this time of year it can happen with the most simplistic topic at times. Not sure why....schools out or what.

I do not think you are nuts, I have a cougar that crosses my acreage every year. ( Males alone can have over a 150+ sq.mile range) Have not seen him this year yet. Perhaps he is one that was a pet and someone released not sure. However, as cats they very quickly adapt back to their wild nature with only perhaps a lesser fear of man ( If they were "pets" that someone thought "cute" and suddenly realized when their "pet" was old enough they are wild animals! This may be a natural though. I have plaster casts of the tracks and it has been verified by the DNR that investigated a cow kill two years ago. Their findings were a large cat ( no Bobcat) made the kill. So go figure...life is always one great mystery at best. Oh....the give away on the casts that it was a big cat is that the prints largest rear pad has 3 peaks on it....not 2 as a canine does. Hmmmmm pretty interesting to say the least. Not to meniton I have seen it on occasion thru the years and know exactly what I have seen.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i will not i will not i will not i will not
i love you guys!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well if "some people" need proof, I may be able to get my hands on the pictures taken of the one that was shot near Buffalo. One of my sales reps saw it first hand before the DEC arrived.

Seems that a bunch of sheep were disappearing from a guys farm just south of Buffalo. One night he found out why. A mountain lion was meandering around his backyard. This is way out in the boonies from what I understand. The guy shot the lion and upon further review, said it had a Montana DEC tag on it. He called the Montana DEC and they told him they traded them to the NYS DEC for turkeys.

My sales rep told me he actually saw the lion and took pictures. He also called the NYS DEC and they were as hush hush about it as area 51. I cant' confirm it 100% because I didnt' see it first hand, but these are pretty reputable people and I don't see any reason they would create a story like that. I'll get my hands on some pics I hope and get some more details.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:48 PM

i for one would love to find out if they are realy here end end the debate but would want to find that they are here
Old 07-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Come on just one stinkin picture.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Come on just one stinkin picture.
LOL you got it BUCKO thems fightin words.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the pic you wanted me to post NYBH.

Quick Reply: mountain lions in NY??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.