Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Why I Lost Respect The PGC >

Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Old 01-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Is that cop going through your trunk or asking you questions as you are guilty of a crime? I don't think it is even close to that.

What world do you live in?

Any cop that suspects anything amissduring a traffic stop, will ask permission to search your vehicle. Apparently most drivers give it, because I read in the paper everyday, about the cops finding drugs, weapons and other things, after being given permission to look during traffic stops. If they ask, think there's a goodchance they'll find somethingand you refuse, you may be sitting there until a warrant is obtained.

They can also test for DUI if they suspect it. If you refuse to take a field sobriety test, guess what...your license will be suspended, whether you were drunk or not.

WCOs have the right to enter upon privateproperty. The courts have upheld that right. So do other LE people, if they have probable cause to do so. If they want to search buildings, then they need your permission or a warrant, specifying what it is they expect to find there. WCOs have no special waivers that other LE people don't have, but they do tend to have more personal interactions with people during hunting seasons, when they're active in the field.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: DennyF

Is that cop going through your trunk or asking you questions as you are guilty of a crime? I don't think it is even close to that.

What world do you live in?

Any cop that suspects anything amissduring a traffic stop, will ask permission to search your vehicle. Apparently most drivers give it, because I read in the paper everyday, about the cops finding drugs, weapons and other things, after being given permission to look during traffic stops. If they ask, think there's a goodchance they'll find somethingand you refuse, you may be sitting there until a warrant is obtained.

They can also test for DUI if they suspect it. If you refuse to take a field sobriety test, guess what...your license will be suspended, whether you were drunk or not.

WCOs have the right to enter upon privateproperty. The courts have upheld that right. So do other LE people, if they have probable cause to do so. If they want to search buildings, then they need your permission or a warrant, specifying what it is they expect to find there. WCOs have no special waivers that other LE people don't have, but they do tend to have more personal interactions with people during hunting seasons, when they're active in the field.
WRONG as sproul says.
A cop is not allowed to search your vehicle for drugs without a warrant. Cops can not have random traffic stops just to check your car for drugs. What world do you live in. That is the problem with people today. News propaganda. They here it enough they think it is legal. Well it is not legal. People are brain washed from the news and TV. Same as hunting big bucks in PA. Where could of that came from? TV shows. What is the real world? Some have no clue from all the garbage they read and watch on TV. That is the truth.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

WRONG as sproul says.
A cop is not allowed to search your vehicle for drugs without a warrant. Cops can not have random traffic stops just to check your car for drugs. What world do you live in. That is the problem with people today. News propaganda. They here it enough they think it is legal. Well it is not legal. People are brain washed from the news and TV. Same as hunting big bucks in PA. Where could of that came from? TV shows. What is the real world? Some have no clue from all the garbage they read and watch on TV. That is the truth.
Partly true.WCO's cops etcdon't have the right to search your vehicle in the absence of permission, a warrant or probable cause.

With cops, probable cause or permission accounts for most traffic stop searches. Many people simply give permission hoping(A) not to appear guilty and(B) that the cop wont findanything. If a cop suspects drugs and sees a roach in the ashtray, bam! Probable cause has been established. If a cop suspects drugs and calls in the k-9 unit and the dog reacts to the car, same story!

Similarly, if a WCO stops apickup or car at night and sees fresh blood and deer hair on the back bumper, probable cause has just been established.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if they were deputies or not. They did have an olive drab colored Jeep Cherokee. I can't recall if they had that keystone emblem on the side or not.

I do remember that they were younger in age. They were both in uniform though.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just expected that since I just had a camera, that they would have been nice and maybe ask a few questions and made a bit of small talk. I didn't expect to be treated like a suspect right off the bat.

That camera was new and it was hard to sit there watching them push buttons and eject the tape. I kept quiet and only answered questions politely.

I do feel that they were trying to get me riled up. I could sense it by the manner in which they looked at me as they were pressing buttons instead of looking at the camera. In my gut I feel they were trying to mess something up or get me to say something.

When they figured out how to eject the tape and one of them chuckled to the other, I knew they were just trying to aggrevate me.

I'm sure there are good guys out there and I have met a few in the field that seemed professional and treated me pretty nice, but that incident in 1988 makes me hold a grudge.

This happened in Greene County, by the way.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess once the uniform is on, they are PGC whether a regular or a deputy. I just wish the PGC had a better selection process. I lean towards the idea that it's not a training issue but an inherent problem with some certain personality types gravitating toward the deputy job. I'm sure that most deputies are out there for all the right reasons. I'm not trying to sasy that all or even a majority are Barney Fife wannabes but there are some of those out there. I've met at least two of em.

I'm just wondering, is there is any type of mental or personality screening involved in the deputy appointing process?
Old 01-31-2009, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I'm just wondering, is there is any type of mental or personality screening involved in the deputy appointing process?
Just this as far as I know.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

I've had a hunting license since 1958. Over the years I've been checked numerous times, usually by Deputies, which account for all of the less than pleasant encounters. None rose to the level of anything I've seen jabbered about on the internet. I often wonder how much of the tussle was related to the attitude of the person being interviewed?

Worst case ever? Stopped to get in an hour of squirrel hunting after school one year (1963, brief window of opportunity...no football practice that night).The tree rats had just gotten settled from me walking in, when an old goat Dep. came tromping down through the woods to check my license.

He liked to do that sort of thing, apparently enjoyed annoying people? Asked me what I was doing, told him trying to shoot some squirrels, but wouldbe going home since there wasn't enough time left now, after his intrusion. He was a gruff old character and no one I knew, liked him much (even out of uniform). I considered him to be an idiot and an embarrassment to the game commission.

I've met Deps. that were rude and unprofessional in my opinion, but none ever riled me up much. Most of those meetingswere long ago. Today's Deps. seem much more professional.

Have met a few WCOs that could've benefitted from apersonality adjustment, but they're not much different from the average policeman one meets during a traffic stop. One of our former countyWCOs was a tad light in the congenial interaction department, but we got to like each other eventually, when we began to relish each other's sarcasms and twisted sense of humor. He's been dead for years, still miss hecklingthe ol' varmint.

I see you go way back to the good old days, do you remember Norn Erikson? He was a WCO in Cameron Co. for many years.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: explorer_Jack

"but they're not much different from the average policeman one meets during a traffic stop."

I don't like the idea that they think theygot more power than the state police.
They are not paid by the state or tax dollars.If I start an organization can I do what I want without tax payers dollars being involved, Or would I been fined and trhown in jail? Like tresspass on peoples property or have a road check or rummage through your car without a warrant or your shed on your property.
Jack a WCO/DWCO has no right to search a vehicle without permission or a warrant obtained thru the court. There are some exceptions such as a "Terry long search" for weapons upon returning occupants to the vehicle and you have already patted down the occupants for weapons. But all Cops have that too. But a trunk NO WAY not without permission or a warrant. To do so would violate your civil rights and open the WCO up to a personal civil suit and no WCO I know wants to lose his home and possessions to pay a judgement.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you detain a vehicle and it's occupants until you obtain a warrant to search?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lost horn

I've had a hunting license since 1958. Over the years I've been checked numerous times, usually by Deputies, which account for all of the less than pleasant encounters. None rose to the level of anything I've seen jabbered about on the internet. I often wonder how much of the tussle was related to the attitude of the person being interviewed?

Worst case ever? Stopped to get in an hour of squirrel hunting after school one year (1963, brief window of opportunity...no football practice that night).The tree rats had just gotten settled from me walking in, when an old goat Dep. came tromping down through the woods to check my license.

He liked to do that sort of thing, apparently enjoyed annoying people? Asked me what I was doing, told him trying to shoot some squirrels, but wouldbe going home since there wasn't enough time left now, after his intrusion. He was a gruff old character and no one I knew, liked him much (even out of uniform). I considered him to be an idiot and an embarrassment to the game commission.

I've met Deps. that were rude and unprofessional in my opinion, but none ever riled me up much. Most of those meetingswere long ago. Today's Deps. seem much more professional.

Have met a few WCOs that could've benefitted from apersonality adjustment, but they're not much different from the average policeman one meets during a traffic stop. One of our former countyWCOs was a tad light in the congenial interaction department, but we got to like each other eventually, when we began to relish each other's sarcasms and twisted sense of humor. He's been dead for years, still miss hecklingthe ol' varmint.

I see you go way back to the good old days, do you remember Norn Erikson? He was a WCO in Cameron Co. for many years.
Boy do I remember that name, maybe from the Game News?

Quick Reply: Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.