Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Why I Lost Respect The PGC >

Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why I Lost Respect The PGC

I've talked about this before but I'll tell what happened for those who are new.

This happened to me in late October 1988.

I had just bought a new VHS video camera ealier in the year. You remember those big cameras they first came out with. Not alot of people had them.

I had filled my deer tag earlier in the archery season. Since it was late October I wanted to try to get some deer on film. The rut was kicking in and deer were on the move. I wanted some cool footage to show family and friends.

I parked my Bronco at the edge of a field. The field sloped downhill to a wooded gully. I was almost to the woods when a voice yelled out to me.I looked back toward my vehicle to see a PGCJeep Cherokee and two officers.

They told me to "get back up here" I trudged back up the hill to them. Immediately they had that attitude. They wanted to know what I was up to. I told them I wanted to try to get some pictures of some deer.

I was unarmed and totally polite to them. They grilled me about where I was from and why I was out with the camera. They also checked my license. (I was wearing the camo I hunt in)

They wanted to see my camera. They pushed buttons and even ejected the tape. They held the tape up and looked at it. One of the officers chuckled to the other as he held the tape up in the air looking it over.

I feel they had no right to just start pushing buttons and eject the tape. Why?

Why check my license? I was on private ground and was not hunting. It shouldn't of mattered who's license was on my back. Whether I had my fathers jacket or my Grandmother's jacket should have been no concern.

The part that bothers me the most was how they handled my camera and pushing all the buttons. They had no right to demand to see it in the first place.

That camera was expensive and not many people had them back then.

The arrogant, cocky attitude bothered me too. Grilling me about what I was doing and where I was from, when all I had was a camera. I guess I might have been trying to poach deer with a camera or something.

From that day, I carry a grudge.

There have been other encounters too.

We had a family friend when I was kid. His brother was a deputy. He'd stock pheasants for his other three brothers to hunt and harass other hunters who stopped to hunt.Checking every license (slowly) Checking every gun for a 3 shell limit looking through their car. (slowly)

He'd basically make it uncomfortable for them so they would leave and his brothers and my dad and I wouild have the field to our selves. I was just a kid and didn't mind haveing the feild full of pheasants to ourselves. But looking back I see that it was not right.

I just don't have trust or respect for the PGC.I guess first impressions last the longest!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default RE: Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Maybe the 2 WCOs thought your VHS camera was one of those James Bond 007 cameras that shot bullets. All kidding aside I feel for you and that is why the GC. got their reputation yrs ago and your on private property with a camera and have to go through this BS.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

You shouldnt have been treated that way then now or in the future. We as WCO's have to remain professional at all times. I never yell, cuss, berate, or talk down to anyone no matter what they did,And I learned that from the training school. I run in to a lot of things people did that disgust me but I never show it. If you ever get treated unprofessional by one of our Officers I encourage you to contact the Supervisor and file a complaint. There is a complaint tracking system inplace and the PGC does utilize it.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I've talked about this before but I'll tell what happened for those who are new.

This happened to me in late October 1988.

I had just bought a new VHS video camera ealier in the year. You remember those big cameras they first came out with. Not alot of people had them.

I had filled my deer tag earlier in the archery season. Since it was late October I wanted to try to get some deer on film. The rut was kicking in and deer were on the move. I wanted some cool footage to show family and friends.

I parked my Bronco at the edge of a field. The field sloped downhill to a wooded gully. I was almost to the woods when a voice yelled out to me.I looked back toward my vehicle to see a PGCJeep Cherokee and two officers.

They told me to "get back up here" I trudged back up the hill to them. Immediately they had that attitude. They wanted to know what I was up to. I told them I wanted to try to get some pictures of some deer.

I was unarmed and totally polite to them. They grilled me about where I was from and why I was out with the camera. They also checked my license. (I was wearing the camo I hunt in)

They wanted to see my camera. They pushed buttons and even ejected the tape. They held the tape up and looked at it. One of the officers chuckled to the other as he held the tape up in the air looking it over.

I feel they had no right to just start pushing buttons and eject the tape. Why?

Why check my license? I was on private ground and was not hunting. It shouldn't of mattered who's license was on my back. Whether I had my fathers jacket or my Grandmother's jacket should have been no concern.

The part that bothers me the most was how they handled my camera and pushing all the buttons. They had no right to demand to see it in the first place.

That camera was expensive and not many people had them back then.

The arrogant, cocky attitude bothered me too. Grilling me about what I was doing and where I was from, when all I had was a camera. I guess I might have been trying to poach deer with a camera or something.

From that day, I carry a grudge.

There have been other encounters too.

We had a family friend when I was kid. His brother was a deputy. He'd stock pheasants for his other three brothers to hunt and harass other hunters who stopped to hunt.Checking every license (slowly) Checking every gun for a 3 shell limit looking through their car. (slowly)

He'd basically make it uncomfortable for them so they would leave and his brothers and my dad and I wouild have the field to our selves. I was just a kid and didn't mind haveing the feild full of pheasants to ourselves. But looking back I see that it was not right.

I just don't have trust or respect for the PGC.I guess first impressions last the longest!
sadly, power does go to a deputys head at times.

remember, some are trying to get a WCO job and want to get a name.

all of the WCO in my area for 47 years have treated us very good.

we had trouble with only 1 fish warden years ago.

his name was BUCKMAN.

he did not use common sense.

sometimes you have to use pages of rule book to start a fire,thats what we did in service.

that guy had NO SENSE of grit,you have to be born with it.

so, yes, they are HUMAN and some are real KNOTHEADS but if most are treated with respect, most will give it back.

now, for commissioners,well
Old 01-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WCO R.W.J

You shouldnt have been treated that way then now or in the future. We as WCO's have to remain professional at all times. I never yell, cuss, berate, or talk down to anyone no matter what they did, And I learned that from the training school. I run in to a lot of things people did that disgust me but I never show it. If you ever get treated unprofessional by one of our Officers I encourage you to contact the Supervisor and file a complaint. There is a complaint tracking system inplace and the PGC does utilize it.
You are my kind of WCO and i commend you for your service to the hunters of this state.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

When I was 15 (a long time ago) I participated in one of the organized crow shoots at Lake Ontelaunee watershed in Berks county. This occured in January, and you had to register at a large tent set up by the PGC. When I signed up, one of the WCO's asked if I shot a deer that year. I said yes with a big smile on my face, tellinghim it was my first deer. He said that I didn't send in my report card. I had this "oops I forgot" look on my face. He fined my father for the oversight of a young teenager. Wehad to pinch pennies to reload ammo for the shoot.Left a very sour taste in my mouth.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to say that every encounter I've had with a full time regular WCO in the field or otherwise has been a very positive experience. (Even the time whena buddy got a ticket) Every regular WCO has simply been a man with a job to do and they've always approached their job with a high degree of professionalism and respect.

Somedeputies I've run intohave been, by far, less professionaland only did a poor to OK job.

Windwalker, do you know if those two were full time officers or deputies?

I HAVE had two occasions with deputies without the WCO present, where they were unprofessional, rude and most definitely were on an ego power trip. One situation could even have turned dangerous.

In one situation, about 5 years ago, we were in the wrong. We arrived atthe gamelands 24 range and started to set up to sight in. there was a black Dodge pickup with the keystone logo on the door parked nearthe othershooting benchwhen we pulled in. I figured the officer would probably stop by and check us out but the truck simply left as we were unloading the spotting scope, riflesetc. he did see us there and gave us a long look as he left. We set out targets and my buddy took a shot.We were shooting our inlines so it took a minute or so for him to reload and take one more shot. As soon as he shot the second time, the black pickup came flying into the lot and actually scared me some as he came broadsliding in next to my truck. I wasnt sure he was going to stop in time. Then this clown jumps out of the truck andscreams I want some ID now!!!

As it turns out it was 11:50 on Sunday morning. Shooting isn't allowed till noon so we were wrong. This guy took our ID, swore at us twice in front of the three kids we had along with us and went back to his truck. When he came back, he told us we were getting a warning and to pack up and get the hell off the range. When I asked if we could stay till noon and then shoot he told us to pack the truck and leave first and if wanted to we could come back. At this point it was darn near noon anyway but I could see there was no point in saying another word. We left and went somewhere else to shoot. As I said, we were wrong. Not intentionally, we simply didnt have a watch between us and didnt think about it. A dumb mistake but we did break the rules. Thats reason to give a ticket but it's not reason to swear at us, drive into the range like a maniac, and leave two adults and three young kids with a rotten impression of the guy in uniform. I got his name from his tag and the only reason I didnt complain was that my buddy asked me not to and he was the guy who did the shooting. I figured I had to honor his wish because he felt he would get the ticket if we pushed any complaint. Personally, I'd haveno animosity toward that particular deputy if he'd been a gentleman and simply wrote a ticket. Better yet, he was there and saw us setting up before noon. He could have simply taken 50 steps and mentioned that we shouldn't shoot till noon. He had a chance to do his job and make it a positive thing. Instead, he "busted the bad guys"

As it is, this guy is pretty active in the area near my camp. He is a deputy not a regular. The truck is his, not a state truckbut he has it decaled up to look like the full timers. I can say that I would be reluctant to deal with him ever again. Not because I would have reason to avoid a game warden, I simply would choose to avoid that particular deputyin any situation including the fact that I would not flag him down to report a violtion if I saw him right there. I would call Franklin instead. Talking to other hunters in the area, we have found out that this particular deputy is pretty unpopular around town. Not because he does his job but because he has a reputation for having a major case of attitude. (and the folks I've heard this from arent outlaws) BTW, I had the pleasure of meeting the (fairly new) full timeWCO in our county last fall and heimpressed me as a true professional. Happily, my youngest son whose first encounter was with the jerk deputy also got to meet this gentleman. I'm glad he got to meet one of the good guys. I did not mention the past issue with his deputy. Hopefully, he has gotten to know this jerk and will help rein in his "overenthusiasm".

I had another encounter with a different deputy near my home a long, long time ago where we had done nothing wrong but that situation could have turned dangerous if it had gone a little differently. A friend and I were walking downa country road towards our car at the end of the day. We had quit on time but came out on the road a bit far away from our truckAs we passed a Bronco, the door popped open and a very small guy in a business suit jumped out and got chest to chest with me and said "comin out pretty late there aint ya?". This guy was less than a foot from my face (he was a good foot shorter and 75-100 lbs smaller than me). I took a step back and replied that we were on our way to the truck and that our guns were unloaded. I'm not sure what my tone of voice was but its safe to say I was somewhat aggravated. His next question was what are you gettin smart for? I was much younger then, probably not as calm as I am these days.I did my best to keep my cool but I said "Who the ---- are you to jump in my face? You'd best back up now!" ( if he hadnt been SO little, Iwould probablyhave given him a push or worse). As it was, with him being so small it never entered my mind. I didnt really feel threatened, just aggravated. His response was to turn around and reach into his Bronco (putting his back to us, not the smartest thing if we'd been real bad guys) and come back out with badge AND GUN pointed at my knees with his fingerIN the trigger guard. Words got exchanged, we both calmed down, thanks in part to my buddy, and we went on our way. My point is that this clown jumped in my face with no uniform and no ID and didn't even verbally identify himself until he had already put himself and me into a physical situation. The definition of assault is an action that would make a reasonable man expect that physical contact is imminent. If this guy had not been so tiny and had been big enough to make me feel threatened, he could've been hit in self defense.Again, he was not wearing a uniform or a badge and did not identify himself.

I do appreciate and respect the job that WCO's have to do. I understand that they are understaffed and have huge territoy's to cover. I also understand that they need deputies to help them with that huge job. I know a few deputies and even call a few friends but there are those bad eggs out there. I just wish the PGChad a better way of screening and training their deputy recruits.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

btb,a little bit of advice like show GOOD, BAD,UGLY.

DONT TALK,SHOOT.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

I've had a hunting license since 1958. Over the years I've been checked numerous times, usually by Deputies, which account for all of the less than pleasant encounters. None rose to the level of anything I've seen jabbered about on the internet. I often wonder how much of the tussle was related to the attitude of the person being interviewed?

Worst case ever? Stopped to get in an hour of squirrel hunting after school one year (1963, brief window of opportunity...no football practice that night).The tree rats had just gotten settled from me walking in, when an old goat Dep. came tromping down through the woods to check my license.

He liked to do that sort of thing, apparently enjoyed annoying people? Asked me what I was doing, told him trying to shoot some squirrels, but wouldbe going home since there wasn't enough time left now, after his intrusion. He was a gruff old character and no one I knew, liked him much (even out of uniform). I considered him to be an idiot and an embarrassment to the game commission.

I've met Deps. that were rude and unprofessional in my opinion, but none ever riled me up much. Most of those meetingswere long ago. Today's Deps. seem much more professional.

Have met a few WCOs that could've benefitted from apersonality adjustment, but they're not much different from the average policeman one meets during a traffic stop. One of our former countyWCOs was a tad light in the congenial interaction department, but we got to like each other eventually, when we began to relish each other's sarcasms and twisted sense of humor. He's been dead for years, still miss hecklingthe ol' varmint.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:40 PM

"but they're not much different from the average policeman one meets during a traffic stop."

Is that cop going through your trunk or asking you questions as you are guilty of a crime? I don't think it is even close to that.

I don't like the idea that they think theygot more power than the state police.
They are not paid by the state or tax dollars.If I start an organization can I do what I want without tax payers dollars being involved, Or would I been fined and trhown in jail? Like tresspass on peoples property or have a road check or rummage through your car without a warrant or your shed on your property.

Quick Reply: Why I Lost Respect The PGC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.