Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Screw in steps in NY >

Screw in steps in NY

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Screw in steps in NY

Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Screw in steps in NY

ORIGINAL: cnyguy

Geez buckdropper, you sound like the guy I ratted out to the land owner. TS......

I see screw-ins grown into trees because people are too lazy to take them out every year. Most likely they are too lazy to carry in a some type of ladder or climber, too.

Once they get old and rusty, the screw part brakes off in the tree when you try to remove them.

I lost one good hunting spot because people were too lazy or stupid to obey the land owner. I'm going to do my best not to let it happen again. If some DH wants to use nails or screw-ins, the land owner will be told.

IF THEY WOULD PUT VASELINE ON THE SCREW,IT WOULD NOT RUST BUT THEY DONT TAKLE TIME TO DO THIS.

i was chased away from camp here in clinton county area i hunted for 45 years.

owner said i was 150 yds from his camp.

i went into area anyhow and guess why he did not want me within 150 yds.

WHY HE HAD SCREW STEPS IN TREE.

i knocked on door of camp and said,HEY WHO HAS TREE STEPS ILLEGALLY IN TREE, I AM TURNING THEM IN.

well, they walked out and said, YOU CAN HUNT NEAR CAMP.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Just wondering how you guys put up your Posters on your land. Galvanized nails have been used for years by all land owners. Has there been a switch over to Glue or String that I missed to save the tree. Sure, screw steps do go in deep, but like was said before, If the landowner doesn't want anyone to use them or build stands in the woods, then you do what you have to do. Use a tree climber, pop-up tent, stalk, whatever, just keep the landowner happy.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: cnyguy

Geez buckdropper, you sound like the guy I ratted out to the land owner. TS......

I see screw-ins grown into trees because people are too lazy to take them out every year. Most likely they are too lazy to carry in a some type of ladder or climber, too.

Once they get old and rusty, the screw part brakes off in the tree when you try to remove them.

I lost one good hunting spot because people were too lazy or stupid to obey the land owner. I'm going to do my best not to let it happen again. If some DH wants to use nails or screw-ins, the land owner will be told.

Now i never said if you use them to leave them in the tree. I would as i would expect each hunter to do is to remove them when they are done with the stand for the season. I would never just leave them in. I would also ask the land owner if i can use them if he/she says no then i won't. I allow plenty of hunters to hunt my acres as long as they play nice. My only rule as to stands is not to build one, simply bring a climber or use a ladder stand or scew steps and take out with you what you bring in. It works out well. If you are in my area and need a place to hunt ask me i'll let you hunt you seem like a knowlegable responsible hunter and we need more of you.