Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Screw-in tree steps >

Screw-in tree steps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Screw-in tree steps

Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Screw-in tree steps

I'm thinking of hanging a stand in a new spot and using the screw-in steps. I bought a pack of twelve and tested them outin a tree at home. Iguess I didn't realize how tough they are to get into the tree. Anyone haveany tips on securing these withoutmuch disturbance? ie. loud drills, wood dust, other.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 AM

Default RE: Screw-in tree steps

Some trees are a pain to put them in, others go in liek butter, The best is if you can find a tree with bark that has deep grooves.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

First off, make absolutely SURE you get them secured in the tree. You don't want to be standing on one and have it pull out. They work well but can be dangerous.

I have a small bow hanger that looks like a little tree step. I screw this into the tree and then take it out to make a pilot hole. It goes in easy and makes putting the actual steps in a lot easier. Always keep one in my pack for this purpose.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

We just got done hanging 5 lock-ons on 2 properties a couple of weeks ago. We got the drill bit that's SUPPOSED to help...that was a waste of money. If you're going in a hardwood I would suggest drilling a small pilot hole. DO NOT DRILL A HOLE THAT'S THE SAME SIZE AS THE STEP. That would be very dangerous. Use a small drill bit to get you started. That made a world of difference.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone have any tips on securing these without much disturbance? ie. loud drills, wood dust, other.
Don't even think of it, your asking for trouble using a drill!

Go this route instead as stated below.

I have a small bow hanger that looks like a little tree step. I screw this into the tree and then take it out to make a pilot hole. It goes in easy and makes putting the actual steps in a lot easier.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

What to look for is the sharpness of the threads if you do not use a pilot hole. The best one's we found for sharpness are the silver tips.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm continually amazed that people have to endure suffering with poor-quality treesteps due to lack of education and/or experience.

I've tried my best to get the word out, but I see it's a never-ending battle! There's one name you need to know in the tree step industry, and one word only: Cranford.

Use a Cranford EZ step and you'll wonder how anyone else can even deign to call theirs a screw-in step.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Screw tree-steps..... I have some Ameristep ones and they are a pain in the back side....
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't anyone take this personally, because I'm not talking about YOU, just the product...

But if you have to use something to start a pilot hole, your screw-in steps SUCK!!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Can I ask a dumb question?

Why wouldn't you (with the prices, today) utilize a ladder type climbing system and strap it to the tree?

Quick Reply: Screw-in tree steps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.