Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Screw in tree steps? >

Screw in tree steps?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Screw in tree steps?

Old 03-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Screw in tree steps?

Hey guy s i was just wondering if any of you use the screw in tree steps and if you like them or not, I would also Like to know how many do you think i would need to go up about 20ft
Old 03-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Screw in tree steps?

I always got tree steps in my gear bag. They are the " Deer Me" tree steps and cost about $2.25 ea. (U.S.) When I tote my portable in the bush I will pack 10 of these to get up the tree and I space them by putting my first one up as high as I can reach and then I put them opposite my knee heigth on each side of the tree. When you get to the very top, you should be able to look down on each side of the tree and they should be in line with each other. I also like one right at my stand heigth so that I can get in and out easily. I' ve always wondered what would happen if I fell and hooked myself on one of those, so be careful !!!! Bobby
Old 03-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used them but I hunt alot on state land and they are not legal is Wi. I now use Warren and Sweat climbing sticks. I think these are just as easy if not eaiser! Cheap too! I have a drop line that is 20ft and usually go up until my bow is just off the ground. Depending on the stand area, I' ll go higher or lower for the cover![:-]
Old 03-19-2003, 12:28 PM

Some states you are not allowed to use them on public land. Here in Nebraska you are able to do so.

I use them for all of my fixed stand sites. There is no way someone else can tell YOU how many steps it will take because everybody will like them at different measurements apart. What I can tell you is how I put mine up and about how many I use. By the way, I' m 6' tall and not overweight so I tend to put mine a little farther apart than my hunting partners would like. I' ve had comments from them like " you must climb like an ape!"

For me an 18-20' stand will take 10-14 steps.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used screw-in steps for many years. I put my first one in about mid-thigh, #2 goes in about chest high and the 3rd is as high as I can reach. I use a total of 8 steps and usually hunt at about 18 feet off the ground.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I use them some but use my climber most of the time. I also have several of the stick things. They' re easier to use but more bulky. Even with them I find it necessary to install some screw ins to get to the needed height or simply to help me pull myself into a stand. There is no easy way to put in screw in steps. You need a climbing belt by all means for safety and to allow you to use both hands. I sometimes use a cordless drill to drill starter holes for the steps(it makes it easier) I also have one of the Step Starters that API made with the pointed end for making starter holes. I stole an idea from a friend and also made a step starter from a Masons Hammer. I ground the pointed end to more of a point for making a hole with one quick blow. I also drilled a hole in the handle and put on a leather shoe string to put around my wrist or hang the hammer from steps as I go up. You can use the other end of the hammer for scrapping off shaggy bark on trees and pines behind where you sit to make it quieter and more comfortable. Even with my 20 foot climbing sticks I still use a few steps at the top for handles or additional height. NO EASY WAY to put in screw ins. You' ll sweat putting them in and taking them out.

Old 03-19-2003, 01:19 PM

No steps for me ever again...ok maybe one or 2 for a handle to help get in the stand safely. My time is energy is way to valuable for me to spend the four days it takes for me to get 10 steps in a tree!!!![:-]

I use a lot of different stick ladders, API, Summit, BBK, Non-Typical.

I am waiting patiently on the new Summit Bucksteps, should have a set in the mail for a review as soon as they roll off the line. They look HOT!

http://www.huntinginga.com/summit2003-2.html

Jim
Old 03-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I really like the Gorilla ez starts. They actually start with minimal effort and sink in very easy also. Great step.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:44 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I use them and like them. I use the Ameristep Grizzly, I have big feet and this is an oversized step. They work really good for me. Ten steps would get me up twenty feet. You might want them closer together than that though, personal preference.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best I have found are Cranford EZY steps......I have some that are well over 10 years old and still go in the tree with minimal effort. Those Summit steps and stands look very promising.

Quick Reply: Screw in tree steps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.