Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps?? >

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Old 12-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Has anyone tried using big lag bolts instead of screw in steps?? They are a LOT cheaper.If you have tried it does it work good and are they safe?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

I have seen guys use them before. Yes they are cheaper and just as sturdy if put into the tree far enough. The problem is taking them out. I move stands frequently and I like the screw in's better, I can take them with me where ever i go and use them for years and years.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used them, don't like steps of any kind really, but I feel safer on the bolts. Use Grade 8, this is very important, as they are the strongest you can get. Pre-drill your holes in the tree with a bit that is one size bigger than your bolts, put them in at an angle, slide your botls in, climb away. By pre-drilling, moving stands is simple, just ake the bolts out. With any amount of pressure on the step, they aren't going anywhere.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take your cordless drill and the right sized socket with you and they go in with a breeze. Mark them where you get atleast three inches of threads into the tree.8 inch galvanized lag bolts. The bolt head will help keep you rubber boots from slipping.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

Used them, don't like steps of any kind really, but I feel safer on the bolts. Use Grade 8, this is very important, as they are the strongest you can get. Pre-drill your holes in the tree with a bit that is one size bigger than your bolts, put them in at an angle, slide your botls in, climb away. By pre-drilling, moving stands is simple, just ake the bolts out. With any amount of pressure on the step, they aren't going anywhere.
I have worked with lag bolts a lot. the place they will most likely break is right where the threading stops. I twist them off there all the time. I would want to get them sunk into the tree past that point.
I like steps because they are bent so the step part can bump against the tree making them a lot stronger.
I have snapped steps off too so be careful.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would strongly recommend against it. I know of 2 different guys that have fallen because of them. Fortunately neither was seriously hurt.

Repeated use can cause them to loosen over time, especially if you are a big guy. Tree steps are $2 a piece and designed to distibute a climbers weight safely. That is a small price to pay to make sure you come home in one piece.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Both MagicMan and Bry, I've sheared off a few Lag bolts over the years myself, and the design of a Tree Step is much better than a Lag Bolt for weight distribution, and that in itself would keep me from using Lag bots (that and maybe the fact that fully dress, I weigh close to 250# ).
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Heck....how much does a grade 8 ....8" lag bolt cost?

Quick Reply: Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.