Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Screw in steps....I've had it >

Screw in steps....I've had it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Screw in steps....I've had it

Old 09-11-2002, 06:14 PM

Default Screw in steps....I've had it

I hung my stand today, my API Baby Grand Deluxe. This is the last time I will ever use screw in steps though. Want a pain in the tail those things are. By the time I screwed all the steps in I barely had enough energy to pull the stand up and now I still have to hang it. Even with my harness I still almost ended up sliding down the tree about ten differnent times.

I have a Summit Viper Ultra climber on order though so maybe next year hanging my API won't be such an ordeal. None the less those screw in steps are headed for the trash. I am wore out, I guess I better go to bed.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Screw in steps....I've had it

And you think there hard now wait until December or Jan to pull them back out. I think there even tougher then.

Old 09-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Bet you are using steps sold my Walmart. They suck big time and are nothing but junk! There are some very good treesteps out there, you just need the right ones. Try Cranford Ezy Climb steps and you will change your mind. I have nothing to do with any company........I just have tried almost every brand made, and the Cranford screw in steps are the only ones I will use.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:13 PM

If your intrested in selling them I could use the. Email me if you want to get rid of them.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:35 PM
Banned

I dont like screw in steps, the arent the safest thing in the world, u cant use a saftey harness while climbing, and they ruin the tree. Thas y i stick with climbers.

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
Old 09-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I started out using a hang-on stand and continue to use it when the situation warrants it. But, I have never used screw in steps nor do I like the bulkiness of those climbing sticks. I use strap on steps. A variety of companies make them...Ameristep, etc.... I just picked up some new ones last week. They are lightweight, durable, quiet and relatively easy to set up. What more could you ask for?

Old 09-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use EZY Rod steps. They have very sharp threads on them. So sharp I've cut my finger on them before. I don't like to mess around screwing steps in while I'm hanging by one arm.
I also have some of thier rope on steps too, another thumbs up.....Give em a try. I can get you a dealers name where you can get them if needed.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:20 PM

Cisco- i bet you are using the wrong steps. If you bought them from WalMart then no wonder you couldn't get them in the trees. I use Gorilla brand tree steps (I got them from Redhead). I can put them in the hardest oak with only one hard and almost no effort on my part. You just need to get some good tree steps!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:54 PM

No...... I didn't buy them at Wal-Mart. They are Ameristep screw-ins. I bought them at Bass-Pro. I was using my climbing harness but I don't know what it is but I've used them the past two years and thank godness I only have to deal with it once a year but I'm telling you it really is a major ordeal to get these things in especially on my off hand side. Maybe the trees I'm using them in are just extra hard or something..... I really don't know it just dosen't seem worth the effort. Especially if it means my stand isn't hung as securely because I'm spent by the time I am ready to hang it.

Edited by - Cisco on 09/12/2002 14:39:24

Quick Reply: Screw in steps....I've had it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.