Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Becoming a gunsmith? >

Becoming a gunsmith?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Becoming a gunsmith?

Old 02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Becoming a gunsmith?

This fall, I lost a good friend to lung cancer, who just also happened to be my gunsmith...I'd had him do ANY AND ALL of my gunsmithing since he did his first jobs for me:tightening up a Ballister-Molina "1911" and building the Spanish Mauser 98 custom I had made, he was quite talented in a LOT of different arms, opened my "Vaquerito's" chamber throats and forcing cone-it was built backwards at factory-, installed 10-15scope mounts for me, replaced bbls on sporters, did glass bedding, free floating, custom stocks, engraving, you name it, I had him do it.

After having such a good smith, then losing him, I'm pretty wary to go to anyone else, I always hated sending guns off across the country to "specialized smiths", like I did with my Vaqueros...I'm considering becoming a smith myself, even if I never do work for anyone else (not like I'd need the money), I'd at least like to do most of my own stuff.

Anyone know how to become a smith? I've thought about those TV things that you see all the time, or the stuff in hunting/shooting/guns magazines, but I'm sure those are just cheap "send us your money sucker" scams...I'm a full time college student right now (chemical engineering), and currently have three research jobs during school, summer is a single internship, money's tight none-the-less, if I'd stop ranching, it'd get better I guess.

Anyone know of a school in Kansas that's over the summer or at least something that would fit into my already busy schedule?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Becoming a gunsmith?

No Mercy...i am betting that BigBulls will be answering this since I think he either graduated from or is in the process of graduating from Gunsmith School.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:16 AM

Someone who works on guns is different than being a gunsmith. I do trigger jobs, minor repairs, make small parts, etc., but I'm miles away from being a gunsmith. In my opinion, video "How to be a gunsmith" classes and access to a lathe don't make someone a gunsmith. There are several nationally recognized school in the country. Proper initial training, working under an accomplished gunsmith, and years of experience will make you a "gunsmith". I'd check with some of more respected gunsmiths and see what schools they recommend.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I think Bigbulls can help you out. just a matter of time before he sees this
Old 02-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Don't know of one in Kansas but there is a very good one at Trinidad,Colorado.
The man that does my stuff has gone there and take a refresher course almost every summer.
I heard there is one in Oklahoma which would be closer but I have no info.
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and don't know the how his business was set up, but if you could buy some or all of the equipment it would save you a lot of money.
The only reason I don't do some of my own stuff is the equipment part.
Good luck and let us know how things turn out. It could mean some business for you.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I forgot to mention; if you get into the blueing part of it make sure you have a very good ventilation system.
Two old smith's that I know have severe lung damage from all the years of blueing before they and the industry realized it was doing arm to them.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

There isn't a school in Kansas that I know of. Like diyj98 said, videos don't make a gunsmith. EXAMPLE: We were just looking at a Savage 99 two days ago in class that someone had watched a video and decided that they would drill and tap the receiver for a scope. Well he didn't have the proper equipment to do it and before it was over he had drilled six holes in the front ring and six on the tang. He basically drilled his gun in half and killed it.[]

Colorado School of Trades (CST) is the only one that teaches gunsmithing only. Others like Trinidad are community colleges that require you to take english and other courses for credits. CST is just outside of Denver, Trinidad is in southern Colorado, There is one in Pensylvania I think, another in California. I am sure that there are more around i just don't know of them.

The school costs about $18,000 for 14 months of training. This includes your tool issue, barrel, walnut stock, synthetic stock, all of the materials that you use, etc..... It is full time only, no part time training is offered. Most all of the manufacturers come to the school to teach armorers classes so that you will be certified to do warranty work on fire arms. (Remington, Glock, Mossberg, Beretta, S&W, Sig (C.S.T. only), and others.

As I have found out there is a heck of a lot more to being a gunsmith than I ever thought possible. Lets just say that I am glad that I didn't try to do this from a video, correspondants courses, or any of the other "learn at home" thingies.

If you want any specifics PM me or just ask here. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:54 PM

This info was just in my Midway master catalog #2.

Americas Gunsmithing Schools. These are the colleges and schools that offer gunsmithing, they're NOT correspondence schools.

www.lassen.cc.ca.us
www.schooloftrades.com
www.trinidadstate.edu
www.pagunsmith.com
www.montgomery.cc.nc.us
www.msc.cc.ok.us
www.ptc.tec.mn.us
www.piedmont.cc.nc.us
www.gunsmithing.org

Hope that helps.