Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gunsmith?

Old 04-10-2004, 08:53 PM

Default gunsmith?

Hi I just bought a savage 10 in 243. I took it apart, because I like to tinker, and found that the internal magazine looks basically the same as a drop plate type.

I just got to thinking how hard would it be to switch it. Where would I get the plate and mounting bracket? I have heard that a gun smith could do it but i think it would be kind of fun.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:46 PM

Default RE: gunsmith?

internal magazine looks basically the same as a drop plate type.
I take it that the rifle currently has a "blind magazine" meaning no floor plate. If that's the case, I'd definately seek the advise of a good gunsmith before trying to adapt it myself. The reason I say this is the design of the stock. If you cut the bottom of your stock out, and it's not made for that purpose, you may weaken the stock enough that it flexes more than it should. A solid bottom stock has it's own reenforcement by virtue of the wood or fiberglass where the floor plate would go. Stocks with floor plates (some I've seen) have extra material to help reenforce itself in that area. A stock that flexes too much will rarely be a good base for an accurate rifle.

Just my thoughts on it.

If the stock has sufficient material to allow the modification, you should be able to order parts from Savage.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about buying a good quality aftermarket stock that is already inletted for a floor plate? Then buy a new trigerguard/floorplate and you are all set to go.

My only question is: Why??
Old 04-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

If your stock has enough wood (and it should) to allow you to do it it is a simple matter getting the parts needed and inletting the stock to accept the new parts (floor plate & screws). The receiver doesn't change any just because it has or does not have a floor plate.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of box magazines myself ,but I think it would be easier to just buy another rifle if it bothered me that much .