Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gunsmith?

Old 11-21-2003, 06:19 AM

Default Gunsmith?

I purchased a Norwegian made rifle in 1998. I love the gun and it has really done well for me. However, it has gotten wet while hunting twice - sometimes it is unavoidable. Each time I dried it off in the field before casing for transportation home - (short trip). By the time I get there and take it out of the case it has rust spots coming through on several spots on the barrel. I paniced and took it appart polished the blued portions and oiled it. Looks great - just like it came from the factory. Now as soon as it gets damp - even in heavy fog - the rust comes back. I tend to baby my equipment - so this really bugs me. My plan is to take it to a ' smith and discuss rebluing the barrel and action. Anyone have any ideas?

I have 50 yr old guns that stand up to the elements better than this one has. Could it be that the factory blueing was too thin? Not sure if that is possible - don' t know much about the blueing process. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gunsmith?

Maybe try to give the outside of the barrel and receiver a coat of turtle wax to seal it?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:45 AM

Have it teflon coated.

Jason
Old 11-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Blueing is simply controled rusting. Any time a blued piece of steel gets wet you will see surface rust. As long as you wipe it off and wipe it down with oil it will be just fine. As far as not going deep enough, it' s only going to blue so much. When it' s blue (black) it' s blue.

Some guns will withstand up to the elements better than others will depending on what kind of steel was used. Like nickle steel for instance.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:28 AM

turtle wax seems like a reasonable solution and certainly cost effective compared to reblueing....don' t know why that didn' t pop into my head. Is the Teflon coating only external - or does it coat the bore too?
Old 11-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

You know that Turtle wax is really going to stink to a deer. Brownells has a bake on teflon finish that you can spray on the barrel, receiver, and other internal parts. It' s item number 083-048-801 for black.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...SH&s=4088#4088
Old 11-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know that Turtle wax is really going to stink to a deer
Then again so is rem oil, BC Sheath, silicone oil, hoppes #9 etc.
I used an M1 this year that had fresh grease (grease is stinky) and a weekold coat of boiled linseed oil on it (even stinkier). This did not stop me from getting a deer. Maybe an apple scented wax?