Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what can be done to a new gun by a gunsmith >

what can be done to a new gun by a gunsmith

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what can be done to a new gun by a gunsmith

Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 AM

Default what can be done to a new gun by a gunsmith

Just received early x-mas present ..as long as she keeps buying shoes I get to buy guns. fair deal

new Remington 700, 270. wood

what can you send the gun to gunsmith to be done. -plan on using the gun to hunt and trarget shoot

trigger is one

what else ?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what can be done to a new gun by a gunsmith

Trigger job, bed the action, float the barrel, re-crown the barrel, square the bolt face.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have the trigger worked on or even replaced. I'd also have him pillar bed the action and free float the barrel. Have him mount a quality scope on it and let him lap the rings. He could also check headspace and inspect the crown. That's about all I'd have done short of going full custom.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

Sky's the limit. One of the most important aspects of accuracy is chamber. Set that headspace perfect, and take out all freebore for the particular ammo you want to shoot. But if you got that route, go all out, and have the lugs evened out, bolt face squared, a nice target crown, pillar bed that stock, even go further and throw some glass in the recoil lug.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Get the trigger done and make sure your optics are properly mounted.Then get a few different boxes of ammo that you'd like to shoot and see how it does.
I have to be honest , glass bedding and all the other tweaks are only needed if you gun doesn't shoot. I 've had or have Weatherbys ,
Remingtons, Rugers, Brownings and Marlins and the only thing any of them needed was a good trigger.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:46 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Take your money
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

IMO, most factory rifles could use a little tigger work by a qualified gunsmith. After that, I'd take it to the range and put it through the paces. Depending on the range results, it may or maynot get anything else done to it. I had a .280 RemingtonRuger M77 a few years back that would shoot MOA all day long with Federal Premium ammo. The only thing it ever had done to it was a trigger job. Haven't had any other rifle yet that would shoot like that out of the box. Really wish I had that one back.[X(]
Old 11-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

Get the trigger done and make sure your optics are properly mounted.Then get a few different boxes of ammo that you'd like to shoot and see how it does.
I have to be honest , glass bedding and all the other tweaks are only needed if you gun doesn't shoot. I 've had or have Weatherbys ,
Remingtons, Rugers, Brownings and Marlins and the only thing any of them needed was a good trigger.
Ditto!

Tom
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 AM

I'm going to let you in on a secret that I figured out..... Do a trigger job and bedding/free float job. Beyond that you are wasting your money unless you are willing to buy a match grade barrel. A custom barrel gives the most significant increase in accuracy. Now if you're going for the barrel then have the GS true the action, and set the chamber to your specs..... sky's the limit. Welcome to the accuracy game, hope you got a big wallet.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 AM

As a gunsmith, I usually do what ShotoDavis recommended. Sometimes I will put the action in a free floated H-S Precision Stock just to see if the factory stock is the cause of any irregularities. Most Remingtons shoot well enough for hunting applications. If I decide to rebarrel, that is the point at which I'm looking at truing up the action and bolt.

Some of my Remingtons have received a lot of custom work. Kreieger barrels, Jewell triggers, sako extractors, etc. But most of them are fairly "stock" guns and will stay that way unless there is some need that comes along. If it ain't broke, don't fix it - unless you have some money that is just burning a hole in your pocket.

Quick Reply: what can be done to a new gun by a gunsmith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.