Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a gunsmith. >

Looking for a gunsmith.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a gunsmith.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Looking for a gunsmith.

i live in hunterdon county right by Spruc Run Res. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in my area? I asked Keith over at Hi-Way Sportshop, but he didn't know of any. He just mentioned Rays Sport Shop. I know Effingers has a gunsmith too. I was just wondering if there is anyone closer.

thanks
Old 01-01-2005, 09:36 AM
jbc

Default RE: Looking for a gunsmith.

What kind of work do you need?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:08 AM

i'm having a problem with my mossberg 500 and it not firing. It can take 2 or 3 squeezes till it goes off. I have another post in "northest" forum explaining it.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use PATERSON GUNSMITHING in Paterson, he fixed my friends mossberg 500, it was having the same problem like yours. He a drive for you, just off RT.80 on Main Street
Old 01-04-2005, 07:34 PM

i work in tenafly so i go past paterson everyday. thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 08:38 PM

The guys at the Rahway gun shop are decent.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Spike

Default Paterson Gunsmithing experience

I have had minor work done on various pistols at Paterson Gunsmithing since I was 15 years old; never had a problem before. Just this past year, I had Novak sights placed and zeroed on a Beretta 92FS, and the job was done perfectly, the owner gave me the target back and talked to me about how it went.

Earlier this week I dropped off my 1911 TRP to have the trijicons that came on it switched out for Warren Tactical sights, and for zeroing. I left 10 rounds of the ammo I use to compete with for the zeroing process. When I went to pick up the pistol, the guy who did the work (not the owner) is helping me. First. no target was given back to me (" uhh I threw it out"). Asked if there were any problems, how did it go? ("You might have a different zero then me, you will have to shoot it and see"). All excited I get my TRP home and realize - It hasn't been shot. It is super clean, smells cinnamon-sweet from weaponshield, just how I left it with them

I get the guy who placed the sights on the phone, who admits that he "bore sighted" it (no mentioned of what happened to my ammo). Then I get the owner on the phone, who I explain the situation to and how I was lied to, and he says he will make it right, Tells me to bring back the pistol anytime and he will personally zero it while I am standing there with him. I try to get a time from him but he says come anytime.

I go to my range last night to at least see where the pistol is shooting before I go, and after 20 rounds the rear sight is sliding all over the Novak cut. I go back to the shop this morning and the owner is not there, they have no idea when or if he will be coming in today, they try to leave a message with him but no call back. More back and forth, but in the end they say to me "If you know so much about how it should be done, then why don't you put on the sights yourself?"

I got my money 10 rounds back and left.

I guess every business occasionally has unhappy customers and bad situations come up. Thus I present just the facts, and hold the comments. Take it for what its worth.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can forget about Ray's, they've been out of business for over a year now.