Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 want reviews for browning pump shotgun >

want reviews for browning pump shotgun

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

want reviews for browning pump shotgun

Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default want reviews for browning pump shotgun

I was looking at buying a new Super black eagle but I cant bring myself to spend that much. Plus I would rather have a pump. Browning makes a pump that is friendly to lefty that comes in 3.5". Anyone have a BPS or have fired one? I would like some review on the gun before I go looking for one.
Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: want reviews for browning pump shotgun

I absolutely love my BPS 12. It is, IMO, the finest pump shotgun money can buy. Very smooth action right out of the box, excellent patterns with every shell I've tried. It is a little heavier than most of its pump-action competitors, but it's not enough to bother me. The only major drawback to the bottom eject is if you want to take it to the trap range. You can't just drop a shell into the ejection port and close the slide. The slide has to be forward, then the shell has to be loaded into the magazine tube, then the action cycled to chamber the shell. What I do is just leave the fired shell in the chamber, then when it's my turn to shoot I load a new shell, and pump the gun to eject the spent shell and load the live one in one motion. No big deal unless you have a range Nazi who wants to bust your chops for no ejecting the spent shell right away.

Mike
Old 10-29-2004, 12:29 AM

I have had a Browning BPS for 3 years now... It's been a great buy for me. When i was shopping around, I was debating between the Benelli Nova or the BPS. I ended up with the BPS and have never looked back.

The grip and the forearm are a bit thicker than most other pumps i've used. It feels better to hold and shoot! I believe the stock is a bit longer than most other pump shotguns... the size fits me perfect for early season shooting, but if you use this gun for winter hunting you may want to get the stock cut down a bit (depends on your size).

If i remember correct, my BPS is 1oz heavier than the 870? Don't quote me on that tho? The weight has never been a problem for me?

I have probably put 2000 rounds through it without any real problems. The only problems i had were with the cheepy remington game loads. I bought like 6 boxes of those cheep things and they don't eject well out of my gun? When they fire, they end of them blows out pretty wide and about 1 in 4 of them don't want to pump out of the gun very well? My friend shoots an 870 and 1100 and didn't have any problems with these same shells. Since then, i only shoot federal shells through it and havn't had a single problem!

I bet if you get a BPS you won't be disappointed!

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had one for about 8 years. It compares favorably to the Remington 870, though I feel the BPS is better made- the finish is better, the receiver and internals are milled steel instead of stamped.

Like another poster mentioned, the bottom feed/eject takes a little getting used to at the trap range.

The only major drawback to the bottom eject is if you want to take it to the trap range. You can't just drop a shell into the ejection port and close the slide. The slide has to be forward, then the shell has to be loaded into the magazine tube, then the action cycled to chamber the shell. What I do is just leave the fired shell in the chamber, then when it's my turn to shoot I load a new shell, and pump the gun to eject the spent shell and load the live one in one motion.

What I do is this: after shooting, I eject the shell. To load another, push the slide forward about 1/4" you can now feed a shell into the chamber with your thumb because the shell elevator fork is freed up and can be pushed upward. Its not as easy as dropping a shell into the port of an 870, but with a little practice, it becomes second nature- but your thumb gets a little dirty.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I really like the gun but I am concerned about the weight and the long cycle. However I love the new mossy oak break up and the Turkey gun comes in a 24"bbl.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

I picked my Bps this spring, i bought it mostly for trap shooting, she competes right up there with the citoris and parazzis if you have a good shooter behind her. i had to wait 5 months for mine, so i had time to look at others but i just loved the browning. the stock bead on my gun was a small silver bead but i didnt like that so i bought a browning hi viz fiberoptic bead and i couldnt be happier. the browning full choke is a realy tight full choke it will either dust or miss them, there not to many chunkers. I took it out hunting upland this fall and walked around for 3 hours somtimes it felt heavy but i just switched arms. I got the Bps hunter model with a 28 barrel. Get the Browning you wont regret it.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Spike

Another vote for the BPS! I have had the BPS Stalker for a few years now and love it. I have used it for just about every critter you can imagine and it had never let me down. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:41 PM

I posted earlier that my preferance in a 3.5" auto was of the European variety but when it comes too pumps I have only 1 "Numero Uno" and it is hands down the BPS. As faithful as my 870 SuperMag is, the BPS is the Cadillac of pump guns and they simply are without equal. I have had at least one of "the big 3" of pumps, those being 1). the 870 2). the 835 UltiMag and 3). the BPS. I can assure you that the 870 is the Chevy of the line. They do it all, may not be the prettiest but wont let you down. The BPS is the Corvette of the lot and the Mossberg is the Pinto in the litter. Talk about your basic POS!!!

I also shoot a scattergun lefthanded so the BPS' ambidextrous making is that much more of a plus,
RA
Old 10-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

dang red callin my 835 a pinto, i'm just glad i got an sbe, but all kidden aside i've only shot a few bps's and i think there a fine gun, in fact when i retired my a-5 belgium made 12, i thought about the bps, but my pocket book said 835, then my wife suprised me with the sbe later, red me and my pinto will be over to see you in a little bit, i'll be driving my pintare
Old 10-31-2004, 11:27 PM

lmao mt, does your wife have any beautiful sisters with her propensity to give guns away???

You can come over, bring the beer and you can HAVE this FPOS 835 of mine. But bring LOTS of WD40, that rusted piece of crap is locked as tight as a cold wife on poker night!
RA