Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning Pump or Remington >

Browning Pump or Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning Pump or Remington

Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Browning Pump or Remington

I found a good condition Browning pump with a 26 inch vented rib barrel and a fully riffled slug barrel for $400.00

I was set on buying the Remington 870 combo but the browning looks like a nice gun.

Do the Browning pumps stack up against the Remington
Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Default RE: Browning Pump or Remington

In my opinion the BPS is a better gun, but like you see more expensive. I would check to make sure that is a good used price though. I don't know what brownings go for used. If I had the money I would get a BPS over a wingmaster, but it is really just preferance, both are great guns. The browning will be nicer than a 870 express in fit an finnish most likely.

They are also a bottom eject.

And I'm not sure about the older ones, but the newer rifled barrels have a faster twist rate than the remington slug barrels do, so they may shoot the faster slugs better.

Paul
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the above about the Browning being a better gun. I've owned a Wingmaster and a BPS, both are solid guns that you couldn't go wrong with. If you are left handed, I'd reccommend the BPS every time. The only advantage that the Wingmaster has over the BPS is much cheaper and easier to find barrels.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:32 PM

I have both. I like the 870 in close and the BPS for distance. Don't know why but in close the 870 does better for me. Shooting clays and birds the BPS. The 870 will lose it's $$value fast. The BPS will hold on longer. Figure this your getting a gun (if it isn't to old) thats worth $550-650.00 and a barrel worth a few hundred for $400.00, not bad. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the advice. The slug barrel that goes with the browning sells for around $300.00 let alone the cost of the gun so I know it's a good deal.

I always here everyone talking about the 870 being the best pump made but I know the Browning is well made also.

Both guns will cost me the same, but as mentioned the Browning will hold it's value better even though it is used.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:10 AM

Ive shot a browning BPS for years now and I personally think its a fantastic gun, my best friend went with me for a year or 2 b4 hunting and he bought a BPS as his first gun, mine is a wood stock w/ engravings, his is a plain synthetic.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:50 PM

If the browning is the one you are talking about in the other post with the smooth bore deer barrel get the 870 instead if it comes with a rifled barrel.

Both are great guns but the rifled barrel is much better than the smooth bore for shooting slugs. And if you decided you wanted a rifled barrel later the browing would cost more than a new mossberg 500 or 870 express combo package. And both will kill deer just fine.

And if you can swing it get a cantilever barrel, they work much better with a scope.

Paul