Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted >

Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

I am a lover of lever guns, a very strong Marlin supporter but I have a delima. I had been planning on buying a new XLR this year probably 45-70. Had also planned on a Savage12FVSS in .300 WSM. Reason for this is although I want the lever gun and am more comfortable with one I have no centerfires capable of 250+ yards and would like some long range for future big game hunts. I have heard some negative about brownings quality nowadays but dont know if its just rumors or what. I'm looking at the new BLR stainless/laminate in either 300WSM or 30-06. What type of accuracy can these things do and what ranges are they truly good to with the barrel and such on these. I have found very little info on Brownings leverguns. But if I hear positive I may be able to save a little cash and get one gun to suit both needs.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

I own one in 243 and it shoots on par with most bolt rifles. as far as long range goes a friend of my fathers was guiding a man on a sheep hunt in Yellowknife? and he made a one shot kill at 325 yards (rangerfinder).
Old 12-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Belgium made BLR in 308 and rarely shoot it. Ohio is a shotgun only state for deer.
I liked the BLR enough that when I found a BLR 81 in 223 I jumped on it. I use the open sights on the 223 but find it a fun, accurate rifle that has taken woodchucks out to 100 yards.
The only drawback on the BLR is the 5.5lb trigger
Old 12-24-2006, 05:09 PM

does anyone make an aftermarket trigger for it? jewell or rifle basix or anything like that?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have an old hand me down 30-30marlin but if I were going to buy one today it would with out a doubt be a browning. The action is geared vs. mechanical like the marlin and others. If you open the action on the browning look in the clip channel underneath you will see where the gear runs. I studied them a good bit when I was looking and the brownings are smoother.I looked at them a few months ago when I was thinking about getting one in a 308. They never could get me one in so I got a tikka instead. I still want one for the arsonel though.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:07 PM

I dont thnk you can buy an aftermarket trigger... dont worry about it thoughthetrigger pull isnt that big of a deal in the feild. cahnces are when you have a big buck in the cross hair you barly notice squeezing the trigger.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 PM

has anyone heard of anyone's problem with jams or missfires?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Never had or heard of either, and thr blrs are quite popular around here. Actually me and one of my shooting buddies were firing some, unbeknown to us, hot handloads which had very very flat primers and they ejected with very little force.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

THe BLR's are cream of crop in levers. I've never heard any probs or jams with the folks I know who use these.

IMO quality wise, they are in a wholedifferent league compared to Marlin. Go look for a used BLR and see how much it costs. The resale value is very high on these compared to the Marlins. THe 94s are in the same league as the Marlins but their resale is higher because of Winchester GOOB. This just stuff Ive see at range and in the field, Ive seen more bad groups/jams with the Marlins them anything. Although a lot more of the guys I hunt with use them for driving since they dont care about scratching them up when carrying them through the woods.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned 3 of them. Never had any kind of failures and they are as accurate as a bolt rifle. Very slick rifles.

Quick Reply: Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.