Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BLR V's Remington Pump >

Browning BLR V's Remington Pump

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLR V's Remington Pump

Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Browning BLR V's Remington Pump

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but from what I have read there is allot of knowlage among the members so hopfully someone can help memake a decision.

I am in the market for a new rifle for sambar deer hunting in the Australian high country. My prefered choice of caliber is 30-06 or something similar that I can use 200-220 grn projectiles in. and in a light weight compact rifle.

My initial thought was for a Browning BLR however I have read that the long action BLR's can be a bit clumsy with the long lever throw, Does any one out there have a long BLR and how do they find it? and how well do they shoot?

My second thought was for aBLR in 325 WSM, does anyone have any thoughts on this option? I have never used a short mag before. but have heard good things and bad things about them.

and thirdly I thought maybe a Remington pump in 30-06, I find the forend and operation to be a bit flimsy and noisy compared to the BLR. plus I like the added safety feture of the hammer on the BLR.

Can anyone comment on the Remington? how do people find their operation? and how do they shoot?

Any suggestions welcome, Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Browning BLR V's Remington Pump

Browning A-bolt on 30-06 would be my first choice. The BLR would be my second, I have both.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Not familiar with the deer you have over there will help if you give us more information about size? Also what kind of terrain and shot distance you expect that you will be shooting? If distance is 300yds. and below why not a short action 308. Depending on what rifle is going to be what fits you and what you like. a little more information and we will give you ideas and then you will have to sort through them and make the final decision.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM

I had a Remington 760 in .30-06 until last year, and I now have a Marlin XLR in .45-70. The Marlin has a long action similar to a BLR (BLR appears longer) and the 760 was definitely faster on a follow-up if you need it. The noise in the 760 is reduced simply by inserting the mag. Sure, there is still some rattle, but the mag pushes up tight against the rails on the inside of the receiver reducing noise. So I sacrificed a little speed for the increased punch of the .45-70. Both handle similarly in really thick brush, but the '06 is better for longer range shots if those come into play.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 AM

haha,, thats eazy jeeez haha Get the browning in 300 win mag 30/06 or 308 haha, if u buy a remington u'll regret it
Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Spike

I have a BLR in 308 and its very accurate for a lever, 1" groups at a 100 using 165gr Fusions. I also have a Marlin 444 which is also very accurate but doesn't have the long range trajectory of the BLR. I enjoy using both but in the long run I have always preferred bolts, thats why I have them too.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

At 7lbs 4oz,I don't consider the BLR in 30-06 to be a lightweight rifle.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Mussdo, I've been playing with the BLRs for a while now (don't own yet) but the throw on the lever seems to be the same on the short and long actions. I think they gear them differently to get the same through. The difference you'll notice is when that long bolt of the 30-06 is coming back at your face and you're not sure if it will stop before it pokes you in the eye. For the BLRs I thinks I'd go with either the 300 or 270 WSMs. If i wanted to go with a standard cartridge I'd go with the 308. Long actions are just too long for me in the BLR.