Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 new core lokt shotgun slugs >

new core lokt shotgun slugs

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

new core lokt shotgun slugs

Old 10-12-2004, 06:52 AM

Default new core lokt shotgun slugs

Just wondering if anybody has used the new remington 12 guage core- lokt slugs and what you thought of them? good hunting

Tom
Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new core lokt shotgun slugs

Last year when I brought my Remington 11-87 slug gun, I wanted to try them, every store in my area never got them, I called Remington they told me they had problems on the production line, by the time I saw them in stores I had my 11-87 sighted in with LIGHTFIELDS and it was shooting great, took a black bear with it here in NJ. People I do know that sighted there guns in with the Ultra-CorLokts, didn't like the performance, seemed the slug would tumble, and the groups weren't good at all.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:18 PM

I have tried them and they shot OK out of my slug gun. Definately will put a hurting on your shoulder. They have a much flatter trajectory than the copper solids but I can't comment on how they perform since I haven't used them for hunting.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:41 PM

well i tried these slugs out, was very unimpressed with there performence out of my gun. there was no group at all with these slugs at 50 yds. I did try the new buckhammers, i did't measure the 3 shot group but all i was left with was one big whole. good hunting.

Tom
Old 10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Hello
I shot one box of them at the range, hardly enough to get any hard results about them. I shot those along with Winchester sabots,(gold I believe), and Federal Premium with the Barnes Expander.
I shot them out of a Rem. 870 with a 24" rifled hastings barrel with muzzlebrake and their new controlled sabot discard.
I went with the Federals because they grouped good and I've heard alot of good things about the barnes bullets that are in the federals. At the range these give me a solid three inch group at 100 yards. I shot two shells at 200 yards (just to see what they'd do) and they were within one inch of each other. However they were 10 inches low. (impact at 100 was 3 inches high).
I think its like getting a muzzleloader set up, you need to feed if different types to see what it likes. But at about $2.40 a shot it'll lighten your pocketbook.

Happy Hunting
Dan
Old 10-29-2004, 11:08 PM

Stickslingntom, I agree totally with your 2nd message. I had the same thing happen. Could not hit paper with the remingtons at 50 yards. Shot 3 boxes trying to fix it. Went and bought 6 boxes of buckhammers and had a group on top of each other by 8 shots. It did drop a bit at 100 yards.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:08 PM

I have a Rem. 11-87 with a rifled barrel. I've used the Winchester 385gr partition sabots for the last 2 years with decent results. Two weeks ago I did an experiment. I bought 1 box each of the 2.75 inch Win partitions, 3 inch partitions, Hornady magnums, Remington core lokt and the Win Platinum Tips. I shot 50 yard groups. The three best 50 yard groups were the 2.75 inch partitions, the Platinum tips and the Remintons. I then moved to 100 yards and shot 1 box of each of those 3. The Platinum tips are the best & I am switching to them for this season. They group about 2.5 inches @ 100 yards. I will tell you that I discovered that my barrel has to be cleaned after 5 shots or accuracy deteriorates big time. I think it has to do with plastic fouling from the sabots. The Platinum tips are 1700 fps vs 1900 fps for the core lokts & partitions. The 3 inch partitions @ 2000fps were not bad but they feel like the paint horse that made me fly when I was 8 years old.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:54 AM
Typical Buck

Every barrel will like it's own Candy.I have tried the Winchester gold and platnuim and they don't shoot for a hill of beans.Tried the federal barnes in the 1450 fps and the 3/4 oz. 1900 fps they both shot well from my gun.About a 2 to 3 inch group at 100 yards with the 1900 fps.Ditto the accuraccy out to 200 yards drops about a foot but right on right to left.Did try the Buckhammers and the lightfeilds also.Lightfields shot very good as expected,the Buckhammers where nothing short of inpressive at 50 yards one jagged hole for 3 shot group 100 yards about 1 1/2 inch group!I opted to use the Federals because of the added range.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 PM
bigcountry

Well, you experienced about the same thing everyone else I know has. They don't shoot that good. I got 3-4" groups with em at 100, but whats the use to have all that flatness, if you can't get better than that.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the same set up as DKBS with a Leupold scope. I wish I would have seen this post before sending a letter last night to Hastings.

I bought two boxes of those Remington ultras and they are worse than shooting from a smoothbore with $1.99 slugs. I'm going to try the Hastings slugs and the Federal. I love remington firearms but have never found a box of ammo comperable to federal. The letter I sent to Hastings wasn't to complain about the barrel, but to ask what they found shoots well through it.

Cybersniper