Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best quality pump shotgun, Rem or Browning? >

Best quality pump shotgun, Rem or Browning?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best quality pump shotgun, Rem or Browning?

Old 11-17-2002, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best quality pump shotgun, Rem or Browning?

I'm looking for opinions between the Remington Models 870 and the Browning BPS series shotguns. I have owned an 870 Express Magnum (but had to sell it when I joined the service to cover bills) and grew up shooting my dad's 870 Wingmaster 20 guage (35 years old and thousands of shells later and still works great).

I'm looking for a shotgun for shooting trap/skeet (yes, I have sucessfully used a pump gun for trap & skeet. Not optimum, but still fun, you just have to pump fast), and I'm interested in trying waterfoul (goose) and turkey hunting so I think a 3 1/2" chamber would be appropriate. I'll stick with muzzleloaders for deer, so deer BBL's are not a concern. I also do a little pheasant hunting when the mood strikes.

I'm also not particularly interested in either the Winchester 1300 or Mossberg 835 for a number of reasons.

Basically, I'm pre-sold on the 870, but I've heard very good things about the BPS, and I like the way it feels myself (and the bottom eject is kindof neat, too, and would make policing empties easy), but I'm wondering if the BPS is a better shotgun.

Thanks,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-17-2002, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best quality pump shotgun, Rem or Browning?

never handled a browning but if it carrys the name browning id think it would be pretty high quality...but i dont know for sure..the 870 is a good gun...i dont know if the browning is better or not..

Old 11-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the two you mentioned I would go with the time proven Remington 870.I'm not much of a Remington fan anymore but you can't beat the 870.I've had a couple for a long time and never had a problem with either.I also like the Remington 1100 but you mentioned pump guns. Another pump shotgun that is a proven shotgun is the Ithaca Model 37. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:21 PM

My bro has newer 870 that shoots 3.5" for duck.He shoots heck out his guns. He hates it it jams on him last I heard.
Why not good semi auto?

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 11-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either one is pretty much a foolproof shotgun. I used to shoot an 870 wingmaster alot, now I shoot a BPS. I cannot decide which gun I love more. The only edge I'd give to the 870 is that its made in USA.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 11-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

I've got lots of friends with lots of pump shotguns, and after the old Ithaca Mod 37 and the old Ted Williams and the old Winchester Model 12 have been put away, the new gun they reach for is the Browning BPS.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 11-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer singles or O/U for trap but have owned and shot the BPS,870 Wingmaster ,model 37 Ithica and model 12 Win trapguns . If I had to pick one it would be the 870 wingmaster . To me it feels better and is smoother working ,but thats just my opinion . The one I liked the least was the BPS.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:33 AM

I've had a Remington 870 pump for in excess of 20 years & swear by it....I wouldn't have any other pump gun...just my .02 cents worth.......Brampton Mike
Old 11-18-2002, 08:56 AM

I can't say anything negative about the 870, but I sure love my BPS guns. I have a 3" 12 ga walnut and a stalker 3 1/2" 10 gauge model. Never had a problem with either one. The 12 gauge was (and still is) my do all gun just as you are looking for. I think it's a prettier gun over all. Mine has great wood (as most seem to) and with the engraving on the receiver it is alittle fancier than the 870. I had some gold dust filling installed into the engraved part which looks great. It has since come out mostly and I haven't had the time to reinstall it although I have bought the gold.
I'm sure you would be happy with either shotgun.
Good luck,

Shane Marquardt
Old 11-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your question was specific....you asked about quality. I would like to say that the 870 is a top of the line scattergun, but that would be a lie. The 870 is a good gun and usually performs. As far as parts the BPS is the more "quality" gun....better finishes, more solid trigger group and action. Though triggers aren't often top of the list when talking shotguns the BPS has a much nicer trigger than that creepy, slow, dragging 870 trigger.

BUT, for what it's worth either gun will perform the tasks you specified. Personally I'd take any Browning over a Remington any day. I have to say that the Browning's are nicer looking too. Also, one think to consider is the back-bored barrel on the BPS. These barrels do seem to keep more pellets in the circles. How do you know if it's back-bored? Invector "+" designates a back-bored barrel.

I also don't see nearly as much powder residue and fouling in the action of my BPS as I do with my 870.

Quick Reply: Best quality pump shotgun, Rem or Browning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.