Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 treestand safety >

treestand safety

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

treestand safety

Old 04-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Default treestand safety

Hello. Last year was my first time bowhunting and I used a ladder stand that I left on my property through the winter. Stopped by to check on it the other day and the hardware is rusty but the steel frame looks and feels fine when I climb on it (little surface rust). I don't want to make a practice of leaving it out all year but this year was an exception. What do you think of using it again as long as I replace the hardware, check to see all the welded joints are still strong, and bring it inside to store this winter?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:00 PM

Default RE: treestand safety

If it's just surface rust you should be fine. I have a couple stands that rust through out the season but they have given me no problem. My suggestion is to harness up (never leave the ground without it) and hunt on. If the integrity of the metal is questionable I wouldn't risk it but I also wouldn't throw out a stand because of surface rust.
Just curious, what type of stand is it. We may both have the same rusty stands.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks Adams. It is a Hunter's View Buddy Stand. Nice and spacious to sit on but a little long and narrow for bowhunting. I'd rather have a larger (more square) platform to stand on while drawing. The height and my newness to shooting with a bow causes my knees to tremble a little if my boots hang over the edge a little. Also, I have been snapping my harness to the tree the instant I step onto the platform. Don't want to take any chances.

Also, I bought a summit trophy chair to attach to the tree just above the hard metal bench. Hoping that will provide to be more comfortable on the back and rear end. Good deal. It cost me $40 from sportsmansguide.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:03 PM

It should be fine but I agree with adams in strapping yourself in as soon as you're in the tree. I fell 15 feet out of a climber this season and it hurts. I'm okay but it's not something that every hunter should experience.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

What safety harness do you feel is the best for safety and do you use it? I have 4 tree stands but hardly use them. I just use the full body harness that came with one of the Gorilla stands.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:47 AM

I could have guessed it was a hunters view. MY two 15' ladder stands did the same thing. Structually they are find but they could use a camo paint job.

IEI, I have a seat of the pants harness that I wear. I usually strap up at my car and then walk to the stand with the harness on. I've never fallen on it but I have no doubt it will hold my fall.

Chucker, I'm curious to hear how you like the trophy chair. I've been contemplating one for a while. DC planted the seed in my mind with his "treestand w/o a seat" thread. I think I may have to have one for the upcoming season.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM

I haven't used the chair yet but it looks and feels comfortable (got it on clearance during the winter). I also thought it might be nice for ground hunting. There's a massive pile of dead wood next to the tree I have my stand on. When you're behind it on the ground, you're pretty much invisble to the other side (the direction most of the deer come down the trail on). Last year I had a big doe run out about 10 feet in front of me while I was standing behind it. She was watching me all day in the stand and must have thought I was out of there when I went behind the dead pile of trees. Unfortuneately, I thought she was gone as well and could only watch as she looked at me for a second and bolted. I'm thinking it might be a comfortable spot on the ground this year. I'd just have to worry about scent control and listen carefully for them coming down the trail.