Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Age of treestand equipment and safety? >

Age of treestand equipment and safety?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Age of treestand equipment and safety?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Age of treestand equipment and safety?

Today as I put up another stand of mine I got thinking about how many yrs old this stand was, and the treesteps I was using. I figure both were approx. 10yrs old. I always look over my equipment, and it all appears to be in good shape. But just how long with those steel pins fastening the lag bolts to the step last, I wondered. When should I retire them, and buy new. Although they still seem fine, and held up ok. Climbing up the tree is the most unsafe act we do in treestand hunting. Even using a safety belt for putting up treestands, and climbing. Whose to say injury still won' t result from a simple pin breaking, or a rivet or weld on a stand giving out. Has anyone else ever considered age of equipment???
Old 09-10-2003, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Age of treestand equipment and safety?

I have a summit that about 13yrs old and still looks ok. I just let my friends use it. I think it has alot to do with the maker of it. The better built stands can last alot longer tha the cheaper ones. I cannot understand how some one would let some off brand or cheap climber take hes or her life in there hands. those $69.95 stands at wally world look like it. My life is worth more than just trying to save bucks. If u cant afford a higher price one put it on layaway. I`ll stick with a proven track record and the higher price ones.