Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand Safety Seminar >

Treestand Safety Seminar

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand Safety Seminar

Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Treestand Safety Seminar

I've been asked by my bowshop owner to do a treestand demonstration/seminar when his Church has an Outdoor Expo in February. I told himI would.....and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm JUST thinking out-loud and trying to plan what to do.....and I thought I'd pre-set up a lock on stand. I utilize the (_______) climbing system....and I'll make sure the emphasis is on being tied off at all times.....ESPECIALLY during ascension , descension and while hanging the stand. I can then give a demonstration with the climber. I'll also show the proper methods to raise and lower your weapon.

I plan to mix in some stuff about being "clean"......and some general things about minimizing stand movement, stand placement, etc...

I'd love to pick you guys' brains on some other things you'd think to throw in there.

I HAVE 15 MINUTES!

Jeff
Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Treestand Safety Seminar

make sure you mention that both sections of the climber need to be tied together[8D]and feel free to mention the story of me when the bottom fell to the ground leaving me 25' in the air in the seat. mabey make mention that an extra strap around the bottom of a hang on makes them more stable, andinspections of all stands before each season. make sure to mentionstands haveweight capacitys not to be exceeded.
Dan
Old 12-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

GOOD POINTS.

That brings up a question. I KNOW that treestands come with a cinch strap that's SUPPOSED to be used on the platform....once you're in place. I admit....I've NEVER used this strap. It seems VERY awkward to put in place.

again, GOOD points!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 PM

15 minutes ain't very long, but I'm sure you'll make good use of it.

I've thought about these things, having nearly lost my foot platform (it was tied off, thank goodness) and falling once (saved by my safety belt). I would emphasize that when the gun is being hauled on the haul line, it should be pointing towards the ground. I know it's unloaded, but that extra safety measure doesn't hurt. I raise and lower mine in a soft case, so it won't get junk on/in it.

Re: climbers, they should always put their weight on gradually, rather than all at once. If it's all at once (as in, I'm late getting in the woods and I gotta get up this tree fast), then if there's a failure IT will be 'all at once.' It doesn't take much longer to put that weight on slowly and make sure the section is biting good.

Have fun.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that 15 minutes will be longerthen you think. Since you are doing this at an expo I think that most people are going to be interested in the types of stands and why choose one over another.

2-3Minutes- Different type of tree stands(climber, ladder, etc..)and what to look for when purchasing one.

2-3 Minutes- Different types of harnesses and what to look for when purchasing one.

10 Minute- Setup, demo and questions.

Good Luck!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:51 PM

all great points!!
Before you start your demostraition,go up to some one and give them a question to ask you to get the goup to start asking you questions. everyone becomes shy...

Good luck
Old 12-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

set up the hang on low on the tree with tree steps and show what can happen if you put them in in a hurry and make sure you dont fall off of any stand during the expo because you would never live it down from the local guys"Hey Jeff, remember that time you fell out of the stand trying to show them how to safley get into a lock on, well that was the funniest thing i ever saw" i can see them saying it now
Old 12-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Not knowing what you know or your experiences with them it's tough to come up with things. I can think of a zillion possibilities like proper step installation, properly securing sticks, using them in ice and snow, cutting off all limbs and dead stubs you might accidently grab a hold of that would break, tree selection( check for rot, dead limbs, poison ivy,dead trees, half downed trees around you), slippery when wet or muddy, weld cracks, worn pins/bolt/nut, problems with shaggy bark, watch for bees if stands are left(they love to build nest under your seats), watch for squirrels etc chewing straps, watch for vandalism on stands left in place, a little on concealment, crooked tree problems, PLAN ahead for things like stand collapse and you're hung there(how do you safely get down), check and observe weight limits of stands(including gear, clothes, weaponetc..not when you're naked), practice practice practice at low heights before you go to the woods, with todays prices forget homemade stands(they're killers and usually have as much time and money in them as UL approved store bought one),Use all manufacturer included tiedown straps etc(they are there for a reason..I found this out the hardway at an old age) I could go on but I'm over the word limit and getting off topic.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

GOOD POINTS.

That brings up a question. I KNOW that treestands come with a cinch strap that's SUPPOSED to be used on the platform....once you're in place. I admit....I've NEVER used this strap. It seems VERY awkward to put in place.

again, GOOD points!
I forgot that strap years ago on my climber, Went to lower my bow & the weight transfering caused the top portion to move & the bottom somehow went the other way. Left me hanging by my ( then waist belt). Had to wash those pants several times. I'll NEVER forget that strap again!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even though it is a church expo you may want to mention that stands don't mix well with drugs and alcohol.

Quick Reply: Treestand Safety Seminar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.