Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds

Old 03-24-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Ground Blinds

Does anyone here use protable, pop-up, ground blinds? Specifically, the Double Bull. If so, what do you think?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ground Blinds

Not the DB but rather the Ameristep models...Doghouse, Doghouse TSC and Penthouse. Very pleased with their performance, durability, etc... Anything in general or particular that you have a question about?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:23 PM

I need to get one for turkeys. how are the ameristeps for standing up and drawing. I am 5'6'' and have short bow. Do they have a place to hang your bow? If you were going to purchase one which one and model would it be? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:50 PM

1. Is it worth the $ ?
2. Can 2 people fit comfy?
3. Does it alert the animals, or are they comfy as well?
4. Can it be set on an incline, or does it have to be level groud?

Any other brands or models do you recommend?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the Penthouse for almost four years
now lots of room,conceals your movement cant
beat it for the money,wouldnt change for anything
Ive tried them all!
Old 03-25-2004, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

CodyinPA,

To my knowledge, the only Ameristep model that you get away with standing and drawing is probably the Penthouse model. It has a 7'6" height and is about 6'6" around.

They do have gear pockets but no bow "hooks". A small bow stand would do the trick though.

Probably the Doghouse as it is easy to use, small and lightweight yet perfectly sized for a single person bowhunting.

mobowhuntr,

1. The Doghouse model sells for around $70-$80 so I definitely think it is worth the money.

2. The Doghouse TSC could probably fit two people a bit better than the regular Doghouse model as it is 8 inches wider but the same height.

3. I have never had an animal spook after seeing the blind.

4. I have set it on an incline as well as level ground. The key there though is that you need to sit closer to the windows if you are going to face downhill otherwise part of your view is obstructed. This would be true of any blind.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the PENTHOUSE that i used last year and i purposely left it set up in the woods here in central MINNESOTA because i wanted to see just how durable it really was.Well,i went out a couple weeks ago and it's still just fine!This is after about 60" of snowfall and some severe weather--it passed the test in my mindThe only thing noticeable is the one side that was facing the south was faded to a more reddish color from the brown that it was when i bought it--i'll give it a thumbs up!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I have a double bull T5. I'm very happy with it but I don't think you could stand up and shoot in it. I shoot sitting down. It's easy to set up and easy to take down. For a bow holder, go to your local hardware shop and purchase a S hook and a small can of liquid latex. Take the S hook, dip it in the latex and when it's dry, you have a perfect bow holder. Just hang from one of the ceiling poles.

The Double Bull blinds are a lot more expensive than the Ameristep Blinds but you should compare both before buying.