Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground blinds

Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Default ground blinds

I'm experimenting with ground blindsand want to know how you guys set them up . If you just set them up deer wont come to them for about a week . Ican't leave them out or they will be hunted or stollen . I've set up some natural blinds (brush piles) to try this year , but yourmobility is limited . I've never really tried stalking or still hunting . just wanting to know if anybody has any tips/ideas on going into aplace, hunting a couple of hrs then moving to a new spot . like having a climber but on the ground.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:09 PM

Default RE: ground blinds

I've always heard to set your blind out well in advance before hunting out of it. Personally, I've always done this as well but I can tell you that the last two years I set my blind up, I scouted the deer I was targeting with that blind location and it didn't alter his path at all. He paid little to no attention to it both times (same blind, 2 locations, 2 deer, 2 separate years). I personally wouldn't be afraid to try what you are thinking of. The biggest issue will be staying stealthy when moving if you're going to move a blind several times in one day, IMO.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Forgot to mention that the scouting I was referring to was the evening of the same day I set the blind out - just a little over an hour in one case. In these two instances, I'd have had a shot the first night I set those blinds out.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Using any type of portable ground blind can be effective the same day when prep correctly , the trick is to brush it in really good.
With that saidyou should find a good spot wheather it be along a main travel route between bedding and feeding areas or in along a rub line or scrapes.
Do your legwork / scouting for these signs and set your blind within 30 to 40 yards , make sure you have plenty of shooting lanes.
Use the natural brush to break up the outline of your blind by placing the blind within the brush that way you'll catch them by surprize when they walk by.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhunter71

If you just set them up deer wont come to them for about a week .
Tell that to the 9 deer I killed last year out of my ground blind.... I never left that thing up in place... NEVER!

I think you might be profiling it a little bit too much there 71.

Location is the key here. As well as using the natural terrain and vegetation to your advantage. The deer shouldn't be able to pick it out, or really notice that anything is overwhelmingly amiss. Sometimes, if you can place it on a field edge, or where a thick wood meets a swamp or something like that, you can set it just back in the thick stuff, and cut a few small shooting holes through the thicket. That keeps the woods looking the same, and the deer won't know what hit them.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good open pattern blinds helps also IMO. I had 4 deer walk by be in my ASAT blind. Here are some pics

The blind is here somewhere

Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks guys, what kind of blinds do you use/like. Only about 75 days til bow season opens here in IL and i can't wait to get started on " perfecting " my ground hunting.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Double Bull T5 , it's the best on the market although the ASAT Blind looks pretty good.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:01 PM

[/align][/align][/align]http://www.ardisam.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=427[/align]
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

I will be trying the "Hunsucker natural ground blind" method this year, by the sounds of it here on the forum he seems to be very successful. They take some work but Ifeel you can get really good concealment andset up a goodvariety of shooting lanes (withgood preperation/hard work). I plan on setting up 4 or 5total in the areas I have available to hunt so I can rotate between them.I don't even think I'll buy a stand this year so it will be do or die .

EDIT: sorry I replied bowhunter71, I just re-read your post and see you really want info pertaining to the use of pop-ups.

Quick Reply: ground blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.