Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
bigcountry

Ok, so just keeping track here

One guy says arrowguns are needed to bring in hunters

another guy says it won't fill up the woods

Another guy said its a gateway drug and arrowgun shooters will choose compounds

But another posted a report that said most compounders will change to arrowguns in the future

Another claims 1% increase in kills and was nothing in thier state

Another claims 12% of kills from arrowguns

One claims its good to be more accurate with shots so arrowguns are better for clean kills

One claims wounds are the same and they are not accurate as compound

Another posts reports where wounds are the same.

another claims no benefit except you don't have to pull back and hold and manage good form.

Wow, spin baby spin.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

couldn't that be done with a season of choice. Use whatever weapon you want?
Bet they would actually loose revenue if they implemented that. I'd take that bet any day.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Bet they would actually loose revenue if they implemented that. I'd take that bet any day.
I am all for smaller goverment and giving less to those crooks.
So its about keeping the revenue streams going to the state? I know newfoundland didn't see a drop in revenue, but actually saw an increase by attracting more US hunters with the enticement of gun hunting.

How would they lose? Would you stop hunting? I know I wouldn't. Might hunt harder. Why do you need the goverment to tell you what weapon to use and when to use it. Can you not make up your own mind?

Are you not always preaching, you don't need the goverment to control your life? I bet it would definately hurt bow sales.

Would anyone on this thread quit hunting? Anyone?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
have you ever held a compound for 30sec, even 1 min, maybe longer? Have you ever hunted in extreme cold after several hours, and tried to pull back and hold your compound at a deer at 50 yards? One of my biggest problems in extreme cold is my bulky clothing.
Now this is true, all of it. These are the reasons that I LOVE bow hunting. But this doesn't give me or anyone else the right to judge another person's hunting weapon of choice or judge them personally because they choose to use it.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

What bows with a 400gr arrow do you see breaking 350? I mean for a fair comparison with this hunters friend link
First of all you didn't say anything about a 400 grain arrow but to apease you it could easily be done. Some would get real close and some would exede 350fps.
Elite GT500 80#, any of the Mathews Monsters 80# (70# would get real close), PSE x-force Omen 80#, X-force dream season 80#, APA King Cobra or black mamba, 80#, etc... etc... etc...

I am all for smaller goverment and giving less to those crooks.
So its about keeping the revenue streams going to the state? I know newfoundland didn't see a drop in revenue, but actually saw an increase by attracting more US hunters with the enticement of gun hunting.

How would they lose? Would you stop hunting? I know I wouldn't. Might hunt harder. Why do you need the goverment to tell you what weapon to use and when to use it. Can you not make up your own mind?

Are you not always preaching, you don't need the goverment to control your life? I bet it would definately hurt bow sales.

Would anyone on this thread quit hunting? Anyone?
Your strangle little mind sure can read a lot into a simple sentence.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Ok some of you guys want to talk about compound advancements true they've come along way.But where will technology take the xbow if damand increases?

Check out this add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLFGfrCMa0
Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
First of all you didn't say anything about a 400 grain arrow but to apease you it could easily be done. Some would get real close and some would exede 350fps.
Elite GT500 80#, any of the Mathews Monsters 80# (70# would get real close), PSE x-force Omen 80#, X-force dream season 80#, APA King Cobra or black mamba, 80#, etc... etc... etc...

Your strangle little mind sure can read a lot into a simple sentence.
80# compounds huh. Yep I know for fact the pse x-force omen 80 would and did not with a 405gr ACC with a 30" draw. But I am sure you read it somewhere. But then again, all a company has to do is to get one shooting IBO speed and advertise.

What does "strangle mean"?

Explain it to us. Teach us something. How would they get less revenue? Would you quit hunting outright? Yes you would?

Simple question, even a small child could answer.

Last edited by bigcountry; 07-20-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

80# compounds huh.
Something wrong with 80# compounds? You want to quote the speeds of the "super" crossbows but you think I must stick with the average compound bows as a comparison?????? Weren't you just complaining about just the opposite on a previous post about Tenpoint crossbows? Hi pot, my name is kettle.
Yep I know for fact the pse x-force omen 80 would and did not with a 405gr ACC with a 30" draw. But I am sure you read it somewhere. But then again, all a company has to do is to get one shooting IBO speed and advertise.
Even though you quoted it I guess your comprehension skills are still lacking cause you obviously missed this part.
Some would get real close and some would exceed 350fps.
But I expect nothing less from you any more.

I know for fact the pse x-force omen 80 would and did not with a 405gr ACC with a 30" draw.
So what speed did it hit?

Explain it to us. Teach us something. How would they get less revenue? Would you quit hunting outright? Yes you would?

Simple question, even a small child could answer.
No, I wouldn't quit hunting and I doubt many would but there will definitely be some.

Most archery hunters are also gun hunters.

If every state, or even just a few states, went to an anything goes season and the population is forced to make the decision to use a bow or rifle in an anything goes season I bet most hunters would opt to use their rifles for the obvious reasons.

If people aren't spending money on archery equipment the archery stores aren't making money and aren't paying taxes.

If the stores aren't selling it they will down size to maintain a profit and may eventually close up shop all together.

If stores close up shop people become unemployed and the state will pay unemployment benefits. This is called an expense.

If the stores aren't selling it then the manufacturers aren't manufacturing it. Less taxes paid to neighboring states.

If the manufacturers aren't manufacturing it they too will downsize and more people will be unempoloyed. Another state expense.

If the manufacturers aren't producing as much then they are ordering less raw materials.

It's a long trickle up cycle.

The offsetting of the additional gun hunters (most are already gun hunting any way) that you are going to argue, that will be buying more guns and ammo won't be enough to keep many of the family owned archery shops in business.

I didn't know that you were so anti-capitalist and so pro-unemployed.

What does "strangle mean"?
strange. Do you really want me to go back through your posts and start pointing out your many many spelling and punctuation errors?

Last edited by bigbulls; 07-20-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Care to address anything here with out dodging the statements and put up some facts to back it up.

The facts are......
1. Crossbows meet all archery definitions. No one here can argue otherwise with any facts to back it up.

2. Crossbows have the same effective range as the typical compound bow does.

3. Crossbows, in one form or another, have been around longer than any other form of bow other than the long bow so, if compound bows qualify as primitive weapons then crossbows certainly qualify as primitive weapons. I know that the first crossbows used sinew strings, wooden limbs, wooden arrows, etc,... etc... Well, so did the original long bows. Today's long and recurve bows that use carbon fiber risers, fiberglass and carbon laminated limbs, glass reinforced tips, carbon and aluminum arrows aren't exactly "primitive".

4. Tradition is a personal inheritance passed down from one family/generation/person to the next. Not all families have the same traditions. Not all families want the same traditions. Crossbows are steeped in more tradition than any compound bow out there. If someone wants to continue the tradition of hunting with self made bows then more power to them. Who am I or any one else to tell them otherwise? If some family wants to start a new tradition of hunting with crossbows then more power to them. Who am I or any one else to tell them otherwise?

5. More and more states will continue to allow crossbows in archery season and with good reason. Hunter numbers are declining at a drastic rate. If crossbows can get more people in the woods and introduced to the hunting lifestyle then great.

6. The "slob hunter" argument is just plain silly. Anyone can post all the stories they want to in order to try and validate their position on either side of the argument and it doesn't prove anything except there are idiots out there hunting with crossbows, long bows, recurve bows, compound bows, muzzle loaders, shot guns, center fire rifles, pistols, spears, knives, and every other form of hunting tool out there. There are idiots driving cars, flying planes, teaching our kids, etc... etc...
Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

So you think this compares to a compound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nVSfv0Rlg
I don't think so!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.