Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default So crossbow are legal now......

in Maryland. What is everyones thought? I have mixed feelings.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

here we go again i'd like to know what your mixed feelings are?

Last edited by noidurism; 06-18-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are legal in Oklahoma now too. I'm getting one next week. I think it's an awesome thing. Recurve hunters resisted compounds. Now I see compound hunters resisting crossbows.

It's the evolution of hunting and I think it's awesome. Just like how inline muzzleloaders got more hunters in the field. Shoot what you like, but don't begrudge others for doing the same.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

idk my veiws are if your hurt or unable to draw a bow sure get out in the feild and use it but come on archery season you shouldnt be able to use somthing with a scope that all you do is point aim shoot no drawing or nothing may as well use a shotgun or somthing ive got one and aint bashing people for using them but i think itsgetting away from what Archery hunting is

PFC Connor
Old 06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bluetickhunter
idk my veiws are if your hurt or unable to draw a bow sure get out in the feild and use it but come on archery season you shouldnt be able to use somthing with a scope that all you do is point aim shoot no drawing or nothing may as well use a shotgun or somthing ive got one and aint bashing people for using them but i think itsgetting away from what Archery hunting is

PFC Connor
Yeah, and inlines got away from traditional blackpowder. And compounds ruined traditional recurve hunting.

According to many recurve purists, you're a disgrace to the sport if you use a compound. So, if you're using a compound bow to shoot deer then you're cheating. Of course you would dispute this, just like a crossbow user would dispute your claims.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

They've been legal in Arkansas for a long time and do not seem to hurt anything. Same range issues as a compound.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

In the evolution of "archery" hunting the crossbow should have been legal long before the compound bow became legal. The crossbow has been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the invention of the compound bow.

If it uses a "bow" and a string to propel an arrow then it is archery equipment and should be legal during archery season.

The don't call it compound bow season or long bow season. They call it archery season and a crossbow is archery equipment.

So all the naysayers can get off their high horses and welcome the new hunters that crossbow hunting will bring to the sport and help keep the old hunters that are no longer archery hunting... God knows we need them.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Spike

The crossbow was used in Europe starting around the 12th century. Invented in China. The technology hasn't changed much, They even used devices to pull the bow back and set it in a nock, the bolt went in a groove. Why they are illegal in some places is beyond me. Feel good politics I guess.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

First off let me say I do not own a crossbow nor will I probably ever will. I can shoot my vertical bow very well thank you. But regardless of that I see no reason why the crossbow should not be legalized nationwide. To bicker over such silliness is just what the antis look to try and separate our numbers (divide and conquer ring a bell?). Its legal, live with it. From what I've read where they are legal, statistics show that the harvest numbers are not affected by the use of crossbows.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Recurve...compound...crossbow...even sling-shot, it all comes down to getting your target in range for an ethical/lethal shot. That's where you, the hunter you say you are, becomes the main part of the equation. I don't care what you use to seal the deal, just do it legally and ethically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.