Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year? >

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Get to the Uphill/Downhill thing, and we've got a whole different story all together. If you look closely at the article TFox posted, it tells you that the arrow speeds change when shooting UP and DOWN hill inversely, which is consistent with the results I get when shooting UP and DOWN hill. If I have a 32yd shot up a 10* angle, I'm holding for 34, the inverse of this same shot, I'm shooting for 30, because at soft angles, the trajectory change is not identical in my experience. Some will say this is a form issue as well, but I believe it's more likely a result of the arrow loosing speed on that attempt to gain altitude, while it's working WITH gravity loosing altitude.

This doesn't usually show up untill much further than 30-40 yards,it usually doesn't show untill 70-80 yards.

This IS sight paralax.STRAIGHT down and truly straight down is just like right at the arrow when it leaves the bow.

A shot at the bow will need to be shot as if it were 70-80 yards.
This post is a bit misleading.The statement is true for a flat horizontal shot but when shooting straight down,there is no arch to the shot(arrow is being pulled STRAIGHT to the ground,so the shot will have to be shot as such.Most likely the shot would have to be made as if it were 10 yards but,this is an extrememy hard shot.The trick would be to create the exact angle that is going to take the arrow straight to the target.

VERY DIFFICULT,should not be attempted.

<
Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Not that bright,just have studied this for a while,that's all.

Sorry preach,I didn't mean to participate in the hijack,just kinda happened.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.[8D]
He doesn't care actually...he is like GMMAT..doesn't care what is posted as long as his thread goes 10 pages.
It doesn't matter to me because the stuff being posted is INTERESTING and, believe it or not, useful ..... it has nothing to do with thread length ...don't be a hater, Don [:-]
Hater???!! I am a lover
Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

They should make them for all of the yin yangs that shoot like me on AT. [8D] I still say it is the string suppressor
Don,
I think you really need to look at a trajectory table to see what most of the guys are trying to tell you here. In all honesty, if you really wanted to get the best use out of ONE PIN, you'd be better off to set it up for 28yds or so, and know how it shot at various distances, including out to 40 if that was your fancy. But as was said earlier, even with the FASTEST set-up on the market, you are still going to have considerable drop between 28 and 40yds. If you find you're not having that, then it's very likely a FORM issue that's resulting in arrows flying differently than physiologically possible. Some of those guys on AT are FOS, and I posted the same on the sight, along with a link to a ballistics calculator that they could try if they wanted to see what a physiologically their arrows "SHOULD" be flying like. http://home.att.net/%7Esajackson/ballistics.html This link is assuming the arrow is shot from FLAT ground, at 0* trajectory, so it only takes into affect pure drop, not adding in sight paralax, and ARC, but you can half the number, and they are pretty accurate with what you could expect, considering in archery, we compensate for the first half of that drop when we aim for our target, the other half is in the arrow "dropping" down into our target after it "peaks." I know you got pretty frustrated with this, but in all honesty, unless you have some oddity in form, your bow should NOT be shooting the way you're saying it does.

Get to the Uphill/Downhill thing, and we've got a whole different story all together. If you look closely at the article TFox posted, it tells you that the arrow speeds change when shooting UP and DOWN hill inversely, which is consistent with the results I get when shooting UP and DOWN hill. If I have a 32yd shot up a 10* angle, I'm holding for 34, the inverse of this same shot, I'm shooting for 30, because at soft angles, the trajectory change is not identical in my experience. Some will say this is a form issue as well, but I believe it's more likely a result of the arrow loosing speed on that attempt to gain altitude, while it's working WITH gravity loosing altitude.

I have dead animals to speak for my results as well. A doe that reminded me not to shoot at ALERT animals, because they MOVE, and sometimes A LOT!!!! A BB that got spine punched and his lungs deflated from 38yds (line of sight) while I was about nearly 45ft above him. (see Mercy Killing thread http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3198418&mpage=1 ) Shot was just a touch higher than I'd have liked, but I aimed a couple inches lower than the POI, the deer was quarter-to, laying in a bed, and the shot went through the spine on a diagonal, through 2 vertebrae, and punched lungs. Punching numbers, I held for about 36, but the horizontal distance was closer to 34, makes sense that I hit a couple inches high. At the time, I was fenaggling the position to get the shot anyhow, if you look at the thread, you can see a small shot window I shot the deer through.
GR8 Post..thanks!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

Thanks again TFOX!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

I put it on the archerytalk archery non hunting side too. Guys like me there that must have their bows sighted in higher than they think or a form issue cause they have the same results as me. Some guys are quoting FOC??? weight of the tip???
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 AM

I used my tapes that came with my HHA sight. I followed the directions to the letter, and I am perfectly sighted from 20-60 yards using said tape. They work very well, as long as you are DEAD on at EXACTLY 20 yards, and DEAD on at EXACTLY 60 yards.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:49 PM

So to summarize this rather longwinded yet healthy discourse:
-Most people are not changing anything this year.
-The loss in trajectory from shooting a heavy arrow at longer ranges is less than most anticipate.
-Arrows drop in flight more at 40 yards than 20 yards.
-Accuracy is more important than energy.
- and last but not least; Don is F.O.S.
(J/K Don! at least you're open minded and can take it!)
Old 01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put it on the archerytalk archery non hunting side too. Guys like me there that must have their bows sighted in higher than they think or a form issue cause they have the same results as me. Some guys are quoting FOC??? weight of the tip???

Added FOC plays absolutely no role in trajectory,other than the total weight added.20% does not drop anymore than 10% if the total weight is the same.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

im melting lead and filling my arrows with it. should get me well over 1000gr...then im going to have a broadhead custom built...4+" entry hole....gunna be devastating!!! if i shoot small deer, i'll likely cut them dang near in half..i wont have to practice much either because with the damage that setup is going to do, all i gotta do is connect.......

seriously, im already sitting around 450gr...and i love my CX Terminator XP Selects...probably throwing in weight tubes..somewhere between 3-5GPI...or possibly brass inserts and lighter weight tube to gain some FOC...if my spine can handle it...i can shorten my arrows an inch or so and they are pretty stiff as is so i bet i can get away with 50gr inserts and light weight tubes....already shooting 125gr heads...but im likely switching from 3blade muzzys to something else....havent decided what yet.....i just dont like the thin blades and alumanum ferrules muzzys have....slick tricks, G5, and magnus heads all caught my eye....

just looking to go up about 100 or so grains and get a tougher broadhead....wanted to do it prior to this season, but by the time i got home from my summer work/vacation, it was dang near time to hit the woods...and i didnt take my bow with me over the summer...this year i am though...
Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have some 2000 gr arrows here.

You just drop one, pointy end down, on your foot and it's gonna poke a good hole. (ask me how I know this) [:-]

Quick Reply: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.