Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year? >

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I have some 2000 gr arrows here.

You just drop one, pointy end down, on your foot and it's gonna poke a good hole. (ask me how I know this) [:-]
There's something fishy with that arrow weight! Good thing they don't have broadheads on them!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate to tell you this.... but those aren't arrows. It's called a spear.[8D]
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

No broadhead but still dang pointy!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

You just drop one, pointy end down, on your foot and it's gonna poke a good hole. (ask me how I know this) [:-]

What pin do you use for this shot?[8D]
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

All shots with my 1500 gr and over arrows are done instinctively.
Arrow drops are also done without pins. My hole-in-the-foot one was done without pins, without shoes and while looking at somebody else bringing in fish.

I'm that talented.

[]
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Thanks for all of the info and patience with me guys. I learn something new every time I click on a forum. I still remember like it was yesterday when 2 years ago you giuys informed that my 70# bow wasn't shooting any faster than a 60# bow. It took a while for that to sink in......I just got this bow and I will bet that when I have time to check it out...I am actually sighted in at 30 yds and just calling it 20 as it is so close to the 20. Outdoors has been miserably cold and very windy. I am going to my pro shop tomorrow night so I can shoot indoors where it is warm and see what is going on. Plus my buddy is going to make sure I am tuned and everything is optimal in my new setup. Last big hurrah this weekend to fill my last MO doe tag; I didn't get to hunt this weekend...little woman had other plans for me. I just installed moleskin on my shelf and my Limbdriver prongs to silent the noise of an arrow being dragged across the prongs.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Banned

Shot my bow last night indoors with no cold and no wind and I was sighted in 4" high aiming at dead center at 20 yds and shooting very good and tight groups. Pro shop guy said my bow was timed perfect and he said my form looked gr8. We didn't paper tune it as the arrows are flying straight. I decided to leave it at this 4" as it was only a 20 yd indoor range. Is this where you guys would leave the sight? Thanks,Don
EDIT: Now I know why I was able to keep my arrows in the kill zone at 40. I am sure the extreme wind and cold conditions and bulky clothes didn't help either. Plus a new bow and not used to shooting it a bunch. The range last night charges $5 for an all day pass. Pretty nice for the winter. I also notice absolutely no noise from the arrow on the rest now that I put this moleskin on. The factory stuff on the limb driver didn't cut it as far as quietness.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Shot my bow last night indoors with no cold and no wind and I was sighted in 4" high aiming at dead center at 20 yds and shooting very good and tight groups. Pro shop guy said my bow was timed perfect and he said my form looked gr8. We didn't paper tune it as the arrows are flying straight. I decided to leave it at this 4" as it was only a 20 yd indoor range. Is this where you guys would leave the sight? Thanks,Don
EDIT: Now I know why I was able to keep my arrows in the kill zone at 40. I am sure the extreme wind and cold conditions and bulky clothes didn't help either. Plus a new bow and not used to shooting it a bunch. The range last night charges $5 for an all day pass. Pretty nice for the winter.
Don, I agree indoor ranges are Nice in the Winter. I used to run a 12 lane indoor range in town and i miss it, but don't miss all the bills associated with it, Rent, heat, electric, etc.

I like to know my sight is dead onat whatever range I'm getting ready to take that shot. Hence my Love for the rear sliders and the ability to set them at any exact yardage in a matter of seconds. I will normally set them at where I expect to see Deer (usually20 to 27 yards)

I hunted with one fixed pin for years and used KY. elevation only, and I killed dozens of Deer doing so.If you do that you had better be totally familar with your arrow trajectory,know where to aim, and do it enough that it becomes second nature.

With the equipment available today, Fast bows, rangefinders, fast moving rear slider sights. I prefer to take the guess work outof it and Aim dead on.

Either way works, but you need to be totally used to whatever setup you have.

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the way I set my Limb Drivers up!

Dan

Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

EDIT: Now I know why I was able to keep my arrows in the kill zone at 40. I am sure the extreme wind and cold conditions and bulky clothes didn't help either. Plus a new bow and not used to shooting it a bunch. The range last night charges $5 for an all day pass. Pretty nice for the winter. I also notice absolutely no noise from the arrow on the rest now that I put this moleskin on. The factory stuff on the limb driver didn't cut it as far as quietness.
Don,
This would pretty well explain why it seemed you were hitting only about 4" or so low at 40. That pin should be dead-on at about 32-34yds, which would result in something around 4-5" low at 40 if you're getting 300fps or so out of that set-up. Again, it's a learning curve on the technical side, you're obviously ok on the hunting side, so the little technical things are going to be manageable. If you downloaded OT2, you can go to the ballistic table calculator and see what ballistics you could expect from various speed wt. set-ups, and it gives you a pretty good idea of why a few guys may have called "BS." As Dan said, if you intend on setting up a single fixed pin, 25-27yds would be about as long as you may want to set up for.

Quick Reply: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.