HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/280955-momentum-vs-ke-who-switching-over-year.html)

PreacherTony 01-02-2009 08:44 AM

Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

With all the talk of KE, pass-thrus, broadheads, and such, I think MOST folks agree with the fact that a complete pass-thru is IDEAL ........What are you thinking about changing in your setup as far as arrow weight is considered, if anything???

Momentum Momentum Momentum

Other thoughts on a heavier arrow are more forgiveness with less than perfect form and a quieter shot .... thoughts?

TEmbry 01-02-2009 08:51 AM

RE: Momentum vs KE ....who is switching over this year?

My arrow weighs in right at 500 grains give or take. It thumps the target compared to older lighter arrows, quieter on the shot, neglible difference in speed.

I didnt have to choose between the two though. With my calculated speed (shop chrono down still), my bow is cranking 80-81 foot lbs of KE, and momentum is up there as well having the heavier arrow.

Ill say this much, I am down to 9 FMJs....when that number reaches 6, Ill order another dozen. I see absolutely no reason what so ever to change arrows...at all. I LOVE this arrow, and don't think it can be beat for a hunting arrow.

Planter 01-02-2009 08:58 AM

It was not that long ago I was shooting a very light arrow with an overdraw on the bow. I'm a short range shooter so I am going heavier. I am not sure why I'm changing because pass thrus are the norm even with the light arrow

rybohunter 01-02-2009 08:59 AM

I’ve always stayed a little on the heavier side when it came to a hunting setup. I’ve been doing this before it was the cool thing to do. I don’t go overboard heavy, I do like a quiet bow that can drive an arrow deep into a deer even on a poor shot. One thing I’ve noticed this past season too is I like to see my arrow when I am hunting. Too fast a setup doesn’t allow that. Next year a little more weight and some wraps should take care of that problem.

That said my back-up bow is a “speed” set up. But I will mostly be used for 3D & turkeys and if I have everything the same, that is too boring. [8D]

PreacherTony 01-02-2009 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Planter

It was not that long ago I was shooting a very light arrow with an overdraw on the bow. I'm a short range shooter so I am going heavier. I am not sure why I'm changing because pass thrus are the norm even with the light arrow
I think with all the posts this past season about lost deer........ I wonder if penetration was improved with any of them .... wouldmore have been recovered??? I suppose I sholuld have used better penetration instead of complete pass-thru ......

Hard quartering away shots ..... spine shots ... some marginal shots ... all would be helped with better penetration ...

HNI_Christine 01-02-2009 09:07 AM

I already shootfairly heavy arrows for my draw weight. (~370 grains, with a 43 lb draw weight)

To me, momentum is extremely important.

brucelanthier 01-02-2009 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

To me, momentum is extremely important.

Agreed 100%

I do not plan on changing anything on my setup for next year.

bawanajim 01-02-2009 09:15 AM

It seems the harder we try to change the more we stay the same.:eek:

BobCo19-65 01-02-2009 09:25 AM

Birch Shafts + 160 grains up front for me,complete arrow weight 750 grains.;)

whitetailbowhunter 01-02-2009 09:25 AM

I don't think I will be changing anything this year. I did it last year!!:)