Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Default RE: baiting

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

it absolutely hurts your chances
Ok then?[&:] If you say so. Just find it comical with the number of deer killed over bait in my area, knowing these guys knowledge of deer...you're saying take away their corn pile and they have better odds?
Over an extended period of time yes. Baiting a is a quick fix for harvesting a deer. Year round baiting is one of the worst things you can do in regards to your deer herd because it increases disease transimission, deer are feeding in their own defecation and urine, it usually negatively affects their digestive system (their have been dead deer found that have a full stomach of corn that starved to death. Why? Because they were conditioned to a certain food source that was not natural) and it detrimental to your habitiat as well. Some forms of deer browse, that are able withstand heavy browsing, rely on browse for regeneration and growth and if they do not receive any browse it can take some species up to 100 years to 'fix themselves.'
I agree on all accounts, and I believe this is the reasoning that led the KY DNR to ban baiting outside of season. Non factor here, as the only baiting allowed is the "quick fix" baiting. I am fine with it, not against it at all, I just recognize that fresh bait piles offer an advantage. Just as hunting over fresh scrapes, fresh cut corn, fresh deer sign, sometimes using scents, etc...plenty of things are meant to offer the hunter an advantage, baiting included.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Site Bouncer

If I was trying to go out and kill any oledeer, I believe 100% a cornpile 20 yards from my stand increases my odds, regardless of any study by any scientists. I used to do it, and umm...well, it works. It brings in deer. I haven't baited for 3-4 years now, and have success without it. But that's not to say a cornpile doesn't help. I can't believe people actually believe it actually hurts your chances?

Jeff, you target more specific deer, and older ones at that. I wouldn't consider you as someone who would benefit from baiting. But do you honestly feel if you were going to shoot the first deer, doe spike 14 pt doesnt matter, that came in...that it would be easier without a cornpile than with one?
I want to say that the study to which gmmat is referring involved year round baiting/feeding, not just a one or two time deal during hunting season. As far as doing this (year round) then it absolutely hurts your chances
I wasn't talking about year round baiting, that seems more like feeding deer than baiting. I'm talking about a guy who puts out a big ole corn pile or a automatic feeder a few weeks or so before the season and keeps it supplied during the entire hunting season. Again bating is illegal here in Illinois so I don't know much about it but it only stands to reason if you only set bait out during the hunting season then I can't see how in the world it doesn't improve your odds of killing "A" deer....any deer.

I'd like to read where it actually hurts your chances (in the scenario I listed) because I just don't see that happening. Seems like every thing I read about it says it works and works well.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Think about your "average" skill level of your "average" .........

nevermind.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Think about your "average" skill level of your "average" .........

nevermind.
I hear ya Jeff, there are a lot of knuckle heads out there who probably do more to ruin a hunting spot by trying to bait it but that's not my point. If done correctly (like anything else) is should produce better results over not baiting at all. I still can't see how it doesn't.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not getting into the difference of placing a 100# bag of corn in the woods and hunting by a 100 acre corn field.
I'm not even going to try an explain the difference between a deer and a bear tonight. (whens the last time anyone seen 20 to a hundred bear eating in a field?)

What I will say is, there is about 14 to18" of snow on the ground here, and if it was still legal to feed them, I would have 20 to 40 deer getting a free meal here every evening less than 40 yards from my back door.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

whens the last time anyone seen 20 to a hundred bear eating in a field?
Not me, but you have to admit, that would be pretty flippin sweet. lol
Old 12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

it absolutely hurts your chances
Ok then?[&:] If you say so. Just find it comical with the number of deer killed over bait in my area, knowing these guys knowledge of deer...you're saying take away their corn pile and they have better odds?
Over an extended period of time yes. Baiting a is a quick fix for harvesting a deer. Year round baiting is one of the worst things you can do in regards to your deer herd because it increases disease transimission, deer are feeding in their own defecation and urine, it usually negatively affects their digestive system (their have been dead deer found that have a full stomach of corn that starved to death. Why? Because they were conditioned to a certain food source that was not natural) and it detrimental to your habitiat as well. Some forms of deer browse, that are able withstand heavy browsing, rely on browse for regeneration and growth and if they do not receive any browse it can take some species up to 100 years to 'fix themselves.'
I've read alot of posts you've written. You're like a deer Wickipedia.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

As some who has never got to experience the highs andlows of baiting first hand,could some of you experienced guys explain baiting from a hands on point of view?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll discuss it as long as you don't stoop to personal insults the first time the only one of us who has any experience with it tells you something that positively true.....but doesn't fit into how you WANT to think about baiting.

You game?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

LMAO!!

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.