Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: baiting

HOw about baiting for bear? I keep hearing about deer for corn, what about baiting for bear.

How about baiting for varmints. Like hunting yotes over a gut pile?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

HOw about baiting for bear? I keep hearing about deer for corn, what about baiting for bear.
You just spit on Charlton Heston, Burnie.

Circle your wagons.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't made one comment on this whole thread and wasn't planning on doing so until I saw that comment on comparing baiting bear and baiting deer. Some places It's a must and an only way to be successful In getting a bear. You cannot compare the 2.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I haven't made one comment on this whole thread and wasn't planning on doing so until I saw that comment on comparing baiting bear and baiting deer. Some places It's a must and an only way to be successful In getting a bear. You cannot compare the 2.
Not to poke fun, but my brother does it in Canada. He baits and he stalks. Fred Bear did it all the time. I am just making a point about baiting. All the people damning the practice probably do the very same thing. Baiting is baiting by definition.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Not to poke fun, but my brother does it in Canada. He baits and he stalks. Fred Bear did it all the time. I am just making a point about baiting. All the people damning the practice probably do the very same thing. Baiting is baiting by definition.
You bet baiting Is baiting, no doubt. Fred Bear didn't do spot and stalk In a woods he couldn't see 15 yards In front of him though. That's Minnesota and the way It Is In the northern woods. If I didn't have to do It, I wouldn't. I know better though, been bear hunting for along time. Burnie, I'm not knocking anyone down who baits deer. Canada also has 100 times the bear that Mn has. I've done spot and stalk In the mountains elk hunting, It can be done and trust me It's exciting as hell.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

You bet baiting Is baiting, no doubt. Fred Bear didn't do spot and stalk In a woods he couldn't see 15 yards In front of him though. That's Minnesota and the way It Is In the northern woods. If I didn't have to do It, I wouldn't. I know better though, been bear hunting for along time. Burnie, I'm not knocking anyone down who baits deer. Canada also has 100 times the bear that Mn has. I've done spot and stalk In the mountains elk hunting, It can be done and trust me It's exciting as hell.
I trust you. I would love to get up North and hunt bear. I just cant afford it. Ill hunt them over bait, stalk, or what ever it takes. My whole purpose of even posting on these post is to try to get hunters to quit attacking other hunters. I know guys who bait, but detest the use of doe in heat urine. I find that rather funny as well. Just as funny as someone who detests baiting, but will use decoys and doe in heat urine. I can only laugh. I hunt for me, no one else and can not figure out why some people will work themselves up in a lather because someone, some where might be baiting deer. Like others have mentioned, the deer is just as dead. I will bait this weekend. Im putting out corn to get the hogs to come in. Not to hunt them, but to kill them. They are a problem here, and I want to get rid of them. Or at the very least, run them off. I can say ive hunted lots of land that has been baited, but ive never taken a quality deer around bait. I have tagged a doe or two while coming into bait, but the big boys are not quite as stupid. I have never taken a Pope and Young anywhere near bait. This year, every deer I took was far from any feeder. I recently got a feeder going to get the hogs concentrated in one area. I have full intention of getting rid of the little buggers for a while.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would love to get up North and hunt bear. I just cant afford it.
Hopefully In the future Burnie I can get your but up here some year. The gas will be your biggest expense.

Good luck with them hogs Burnie!!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I posted a study that was performed a couple years ago in SC. It proved that baiting actually led to LESS harvest % success, there. People can turn a blind eye to that all they want to.....but doing so on emotion and not fact is only perpetuating the ignorance. That's called denial.
Jeff,

Was this for killing mature bucks or any deer at all?

I find it hard to believe that it's tougher to kill deer period by baiting rather than without bait. I've read where baiting makes it more difficult to kill a big mature buck and I can see where that stems from but ANY deer? I think baiting wins out every time.

As far as the original question is concerned, I see the difference as being huge. If you set a pile of corn out (or a feeder set to go off) then you pretty much know exactly where (and in some cases when) the deer will be. A crop field however is far larger than a pile of corn or feeder and the deer can access the field from the other end possibly hundreds of yards away from your standnot giving you a shot at all.

With a pile of corn or feeder, you simply setup 20 yards away and wait.

EDIT: I didn't read through the entire thread so if this has already been covered, my apologies for being redundant.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff,

Was this for killing mature bucks or any deer at all?
No distinguishing between deer. This encompassed ALL deer.

Like I said.....you can believe anything you want.....and people are gonna believe what they wanna believe. I'm just giving you the facts. Do with them what you will.

I'm living proof that baiting isn't the easiest way to kill deer. I tried it....and the true confessionis.....if I thought I could be more successful baiting....I'd bait.

I know better.

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.