Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baiting

[quote]ORIGINAL: cooter144

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Also Tim....what you'll find is....the people who are most against baiting live in states where it's illegal....and they have NO first-hand knowledge of the practice. I'd say they were ignorant....but that sounds a bit inflammatory. Ill-informed, yeah.

Everybody wants to think what they want to.....because I suppose it makes them feel superior in some way....if they can tear the other guy's means/methods down.

I posted a study that was performed a couple years ago in SC. It proved that baiting actually led to LESS harvest % success, there. People can turn a blind eye to that all they want to.....but doing so on emotion and not fact is only perpetuating the ignorance. That's called denial.
I hunt in ND where baiting is legal...I have never baited and I never will

As far as experience...I know hunters around there that have much more success when they baitvs when they don't. I know a guy that dumps truck loads of sugar beats into river bottoms andhas shotP&Y bucks 3 out of the last 4 years on these piles. He has never been able to shoot a P&Y when NOT using bait.

Honestly you have to be somewhat ignorant to say there is no difference between a 160 acre field of cornvs a pile of food.
[/quote ]

AMEN
Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 AM

I've proven that the fear of the spread of CWD in our state is unfounded. We've been a baiting state for years....and there's yet to be a confirmed case of the disease.

Yet it's one of the first things uneducted people (in regards to baiting, here) cite as a reason to oppose it.
KY has NOT had CWD found in it, that is a farse if mentioned earlier. However, IL and WV have as border states. KY is acting to prevent CWD in several smart ways IMO. No importing live cervids, with no exceptions. KY wouldn't even let live elk on enclosed trailers pass through the state to TN for release, they had to go around essentially.

KY has no importation of live cervids.
KY has no importation of any brain or spinal matter on dead deer (no heads, for a euro you must remove brains before returning home with your deer)...I think this even includes bone marrow, meaning meat should be deboned before brought into the state.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baiters are shooters, not hunters, IMHO. Never will change that opinion. Does that make me ignorant or an elitist? IT DOES make me a happy hunter though.. What is more than evident in this thread is the lack of ability to respect other's opinions on the topic. But hey, they're probably bullies in real life also, sad to say. That's one of the great things about hunting. Apparently even the sad ones can be successful from time to time.

To each his own, and I guess if it's legal, have at it. I choose not to, so handle it.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Does that make me ignorant or an elitist?
Can't answer the former (Ignorant).....but there's PLENTY of information in this thread.

The latter (Elitist)? Yeah. That makes you an elitist. If you'd said the same thing RE_ bowhunting v. gun hunting.....I'd say the same thing.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no respect for compound bow hunters. Its a slobs bow. Its the lazy way to kill and animal. It is far to easy. Hell, 90% of yall are shootintg 80% let off, why not just get a gun. Not much challenge to that. A compound bow hunter is not a hunter, but a killer.

Sound familure.

For those of you who know me, will know the above is not how I feel, just turning some pages here.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I have no respect for compound bow hunters. Its a slobs bow. Its the lazy way to kill and animal. It is far to easy. Hell, 90% of yall are shootintg 80% let off, why not just get a gun. Not much challenge to that. A compound bow hunter is not a hunter, but a killer.

Sound familure.

For those of you who know me, will know the above is not how I feel, just turning some pages here.
Hey Kent am I still a slob if my letoff is only 65%?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baiters are shooters, not hunters, IMHO.
LOL........All successful hunters are shooters. Hell, if ya don't shoot, what's the point in hunting?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Site Bouncer

I hear ya Jeff, there are a lot of knuckle heads out there who probably do more to ruin a hunting spot by trying to bait it but that's not my point. If done correctly (like anything else) is should produce better results over not baiting at all. I still can't see how it doesn't.
Fair question. What's your goal? If your goal is to kill "A" deer.....I'd say you're correct.

Now what do you do? You've killed ONE. See....the problem (IN REALITY....where people bait)....is...they keep hunting the same old baited spot.....the same old way.....entering the same way.....exiting the same way......etc...., etc..., etc... You see the trend.

So now what do they do from that point on? Their baited spot will suffer. Period.
As with anything, if done wrong it can and will be detrimental to what you're trying to accomplish and I understand fully how if hunted wrong, a bait site will not produce. I was just talking about "any" deer.

That feeder out in the middle of nowhere when other sources of food is scarce is going to be an oasis for the deer....and they will go to it. People feed deer all the time and they keep coming day in and day out.
Please cite your hands-on experience with this. Also....the flocking you're talking about.....are people HUNTING while they're feeding them? ReallY? And they keep coming back? Even when Myrtle got shot yesterday.....and Sally, last week? Really? To the same spot?
My only experience (as I noted to in my post) is the on line sites that have sprung up recently showing a baiting station and where you can see deer eating pretty much 24/7. As far as multiple kills from the same bait, it's absolutely possible. I think your giving the deer too much credit here. No I don't think if you hunt it for seven days straight you will see the same volume as you did the first day but if you hunt it correctly and give it time to "cool" so to speak, the deer will indeed come back especially if it's late in the season and food is getting scarce.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does that make me ignorant or an elitist?
Can't answer the former (Ignorant).....but there's PLENTY of information in this thread.

The latter (Elitist)? Yeah. That makes you an elitist. If you'd said the same thing RE_ bowhunting v. gun hunting.....I'd say the same thing.

LMAO!! Handle it!