Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: baiting

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'll discuss it as long as you don't stoop to personal insults the first time the only one of us who has any experience with it tells you something that positively true.....but doesn't fit into how you WANT to think about baiting.

You game?
Are we talking "hands" on experiance?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes. What you wanna know?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but baiting helps if the objective is to have ANY deer in bowrange, period. Those who don't want to believe this are either in denial, or im not sure what. I've done both, and I know it does helpjust as well as others know it hurts.

Everyone keeps referencing back to year round bait stations or pounded hunted everyday carelessly setups....

If a guy throws out a 50 lb sack of corn in a known deer area, and comes back to hunt it the following weekend, does anyone have a logical reason why it hurts his chances? I know it doesn't just trying to see why some think it does.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Same reason an over-hunted NON-baited stand hurts your chances.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Same reason an over-hunted NON-baited stand hurts your chances.
If a guy throws out a 50 lb sack of corn in a known deer area, and comes back to hunt it the following weekend, does anyone have a logical reason why it hurts his chances? I know it doesn't just trying to see why some think it does.
Just checking to see if you read it right, how can it be over hunted if he threw it out and a week later setup over it for the first time?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Dominant Buck

You're acting like every (or even the "average") person who baits does so with precision and unabated tact.

Get real, Trevor.

We're not discussing the people who have this down to an art form. I thought we were discussing the practice "in general". Your example is like trying to compare Phil Mickelson going for a par 5 in two from 277yds......and whether or not "golfers" should try it. Hell yeah it works most times......if you're Phil.

Most baiters ain't Phil

Most baiters dump it in the drink and make 8.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can kill deer over corn. You can kill them over acorns. You can kill them over honeysuckle. You can kill them over grass. You can kill them over water.

What you can and can not do is up to you. Now, just how do you want to get 'er dun?

LT
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM

You're acting like every (or even the "average") person who baits does so with precision and unabated tact.

Get real, Trevor.

We're not discussing the people who have this down to an art form. I thought we were discussing the practice "in general". Your example is like trying to compare Phil Mickelson going for a par 5 in two from 277yds......and whether or not "golfers" should try it. Hell yeah it works most times......if you're Phil.

Most baiters ain't Phil

Not sure where that all came from....but how on earth is dumping out a sack of corn and returning a week later "down to an art form"?

In general, that's what ALOT of guys around here do...They dump out corn, and then hunt over it. No art form, no golfing. Not year round bait stations, not guys that hunt 5x a week. Maybe once a week guys, if that. These guys "in general" dont hunt enough to pressure deer in the first place.

Oh well, now it just sounds like I am generalizing all baiters which is what I wanted to steer clear from, because they aren't all the same just as all non baiters arent the same. We both realize that though.

It ain't like I'm calling it easy. I'm just saying a bait pile helps your odds, as does being in the woods during the rut, using scents, hunting trails instead of this spot looks good, being scent cautious, hunting great farms over average farms, switching it upduring setupsetc....plenty of tactics hunters employ to improve their odds, baiting absolutely being one of them.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM
bigcountry

Get real, Trevor.

Most baiters ain't Phil

So what is this big art form you keep mentioning. Are you a master at it? You either dump bait or you don't. You pick times, and you do it.

I guess if one took this step he could just take to the next logical step and make like a caged trap. That way next day, just go out and shoot it in the cage. Could check it in on a trappers licence. Then run back in thier house and get their camo on and take pictures with it.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Site Bouncer

Get real, Trevor.

Most baiters ain't Phil

ORIGINAL: BigJ71
I hear ya Jeff, there are a lot of knuckle heads out there who probably do more to ruin a hunting spot by trying to bait it but that's not my point. If done correctly (like anything else) is should produce better results over not baiting at all. I still can't see how it doesn't.
Jeff,

So you do agree that it's true and my above statement correct......IF done correctlybaiting will produce better results than if not done at all?

So getting back to the original question, isbaiting (and yes I mean done correctly)different than hunting over a cut corn field....The answer then HAS to be yes it is. If done correctly baiting will give you a distinct advantage because you can pinpoint with far greater accuracy where and in some cases when the deer will show up. You simply set up in that location and your odds of killing a deer....any deer increase dramatically.

With your average crop field(multi acre) you won't be able to predict with much accuracy where the deer will enter the field because their food source IS the entire crop field. Sure you can locate trails and set up their but unlike the pile of corn or automatic feeder, you can't be sure exactly where the deer will be.

That feeder out in the middle of nowhere when other sources of food is scarce is going to be an oasis for the deer....and they will go to it. People feed deer all the time and they keep coming day in and day out. You can even see them on line now with those streaming videos of the deer feeding. They have even been posted right here in the bow hunting forum.

Bottom line....if done correctly it will give you an advantage and yes it's different and more advantageous than hunting over a crop field.

Can we put this thread to rest now??

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.