Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: baiting

If I am not mistaken the study that GMMAT is talking about was done because of the split in the SC laws on baiting. The upper state hunters were saying that the lower state huntershad an unfairadvantage.You can not bait in the upper state of SC, but you can in the lower state. The harvest numbers also prove that there is no advantages of baiting.Upperstate huntersactuallykill moredeerthan the lower state where baiting is legal.Our record book also shows that the bigger bucks come from the upper state.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

If I am not mistaken the study that GMMAT is talking about was done because of the split in the SC laws on baiting. As I stated in my earlier post that it seems everyone ignored. You can not bait in the upper state of SC, but you can in the lower state. The numbers also prove that there is no advantages of baiting. The upper state where baiting is illegal actually kills more deer per hunter than the lower state where baiting is legal. If I can remember right thats why the study was conducted because the upper state hunters were saying that the lower state had an unfair advantage.
What's the deer demographics in SC?

For instance, if a state carriedthe better partof it's Whitetail populationin the upper portion of the state then even with baiting the lower half still wouldn't come close in numbers killed.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

If I am not mistaken the study that GMMAT is talking about was done because of the split in the SC laws on baiting. As I stated in my earlier post that it seems everyone ignored. You can not bait in the upper state of SC, but you can in the lower state. The numbers also prove that there is no advantages of baiting. The upper state where baiting is illegal actually kills more deer per hunter than the lower state where baiting is legal. If I can remember right thats why the study was conducted because the upper state hunters were saying that the lower state had an unfair advantage.
What's the deer demographics in SC?

For instance, if a state carriedthe better partof it's Whitetail populationin the upper portion of the state then even with baiting the lower half still wouldn't come close in numbers killed.

http://dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/deermap.html

Old 12-10-2008, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

As you see there isn't a big difference in the deer numbers throughout most of the state.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

So what is this big art form you keep mentioning. Are you a master at it? You either dump bait or you don't. You pick times, and you do it.

I guess if one took this step he could just take to the next logical step and make like a caged trap. That way next day, just go out and shoot it in the cage. Could check it in on a trappers licence. Then run back in thier house and get their camo on and take pictures with it.
This is the ignorance that breeds elitist attitudes.

I hear ya Jeff, there are a lot of knuckle heads out there who probably do more to ruin a hunting spot by trying to bait it but that's not my point. If done correctly (like anything else) is should produce better results over not baiting at all. I still can't see how it doesn't.
Fair question. What's your goal? If your goal is to kill "A" deer.....I'd say you're correct.

Now what do you do? You've killed ONE. See....the problem (IN REALITY....where people bait)....is...they keep hunting the same old baited spot.....the same old way.....entering the same way.....exiting the same way......etc...., etc..., etc... You see the trend.

So now what do they do from that point on? Their baited spot will suffer. Period.

There's no doubt in my mind I could bait this time of year and be successful.....even with bucks. But let's remember when we talk about baiting....that we're not talking about the Greg Millers of the world (as a community). Think about how most hunters use scents. You think everybody who buys tinks 69 uses it correctly? Plays the wind (though I can't figure that one out, yet)? Let's be real. Baiting isn't as easy as you make it.....and my bet is about 5% do it with any smarts about them.

With your average crop field(multi acre) you won't be able to predict with much accuracy where the deer will enter the field because their food source IS the entire crop field. Sure you can locate trails and set up their but unlike the pile of corn or automatic feeder, you can't be sure exactly where the deer will be.
Again....size of the pile, John. And the fact that the multi acre field is unpredictable probably AIDS the hunter to be honest. If he knew THE trail they'd take to it......he'd overhunt it.....just like most baiters do their centralized spot. Think about that.

That feeder out in the middle of nowhere when other sources of food is scarce is going to be an oasis for the deer....and they will go to it. People feed deer all the time and they keep coming day in and day out.
Please cite your hands-on experience with this. Also....the flocking you're talking about.....are people HUNTING while they're feeding them? ReallY? And they keep coming back? Even when Myrtle got shot yesterday.....and Sally, last week? Really? To the same spot?

Can we put this thread to rest now??
I sure hope so.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Bartender

Jeff you saying Greg Miller baits? He can not stand it from a convo I had with him once.
*I could of missunderstood you pal*

We having baiting in northern Wisconsin but not down in my area of the south.
Yes we dont like and they love it. The thing is you nailed it on the head how a spot can get ruined.
My buddy has been baiting the same spot for 3 years now and this season he did not see one deer.
They were coming in at night only and learned his pattern. He has this truck with one loud muffler
and you can hear him coming in a mile away and then leave. These deer no doubt learned about him.
Thing is also their is not a corn field for milesand this year I found 3 piles around his area.
I admit it I pissed in 2 of em.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

*I could of missunderstood you pal*
Yes you did. No inference intended.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So what is this big art form you keep mentioning. Are you a master at it? You either dump bait or you don't. You pick times, and you do it.

I guess if one took this step he could just take to the next logical step and make like a caged trap. That way next day, just go out and shoot it in the cage. Could check it in on a trappers licence. Then run back in thier house and get their camo on and take pictures with it.
This is the ignorance that breeds elitist attitudes.
How so Jeff? Only way for one to see some with an elitist attitude is to feel inferior to them somehow.

Why don't you be so kind to educate us dumb folk who don't know anything about deer hunting on this art form you keep saying over and over.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Lets say you had access to 100 acres of corn......and the deer were using only one trail to access it. You hunt that trail every day.

Ya think they "might" change up their pattern?

Difference in hunting ag fields and baiting is the size of the "pile". So let's say you have a man "baiting" who sets up multiple bait sites (increasing the size of his "pile"). He hunts only the bait site that he can access playing the wind....never hunting a bad wind....and never over-hunting a spot. That guy is upping his odds. I dont' know ANYONE who does this, personally. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be done with precision.

Most people who actally bait are as dumb and lazy (the people I know who do it) as you give them credit for. Their results reflect this. That's why I profess that it isn't an advantage for the "average" guy baiting.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

So its not that baiting itself is not effective,it is that baiter's are to dumb to master the art of properly placing and hunting their baits ?

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.