Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for "mature buck" advocates >

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Old 03-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Question for "mature buck" advocates

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

For the people who say "move to where they live" are completely missing the point of the post.

MATURE, means age. It does not mean antlers. AGE can be granted my letting little ones walk.

MOST of the great things in life take time. Do robbers shoot children? Or do they shoot the parents? It is not natural for humans to kill things that are young.

Obviously, deer densities are different all over the country, everyone knows that. Perception is reality. When you harvest does, and let the little ones walk, you fertilize your potential dream. If you would shoot a bigger buck instead of a small buck, why ever shoot a small buck? Does taste better, and again you are just making it harder to do what you actually want!

As has been said throughout this thread, to each his own!
Not one person in this thread told anyone to move, someone else missed the point.

Second of all................. pretty weirdo analogy.

Other than that you're OK.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

4 1/2+ x
3 1/2 xx
2 1/2 xxxx
1 1/2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have hunted herds like this as well.[&o] This is what you get when you "if it's brown it's down" hunt. Every season 80% or more of the bucks killed are 1 1/2. Pretty soon you don't have hardly any mature bucks. The ones you do have are super cautious, mostly nocturnal at the slightest hint of human presence. Not a very fun hunt if you expect to possibly get a glimpse of "old Mossy-Horns". I stopped hunting areas like this and searched out new areas that were better. If you were to let the little ones go or had antler restrictions in place you can see how you'd increase the number of older bucks.
Did you live here????
No, I do not live here. I hunted there more than half of my hunting career. This was "up North". To find better hunting spots I started hunting closer to home. Trial and error.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those pictures posted of all of the dinks lined up in that roomlook like awall of shame.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Bartender

I was in the same boat as Greg and it is still brown its down up in Northern, Wi. I now have plenty of spots closer to home for bowhunting and pretty much only Gun hunt up North.
The gun hunt is pretty much a family thing and the only time we all can get together and just let loose. We have 2 cabins and Thousands of county and Timber Company land at
our disposal. It's our Vacation.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

Greg,

I thought it was mentioned somewhere, my bad.
Weird analogy? Yeap. True analogy? Yeap.

Thanks for your granting on my "okness". Didn't know I needed it.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

.....just want to understand why some guys think the states should mandate hunters to only target bigger bucks I guess.
Generally, States that practice antler restrictions want to improve the age structure of the bucks in theirdeer herd. Young deer are much easier to kill than mature deer. That's a fact, not my opinion.So if youallow "any buck" to be killed, you'll end up with nothing but small bucks in your herd.When I started deerhunting I had the typical mind set of a beginner, I had to kill "a buck". After enough years, I've come to realize that I don't "need" tokill a buck every year.I guess this comes with age.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Bartender

You know you can sell that new gun of yours to me at a deep discount then go buy a new bow.[8D]
ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

As a side question kinda off topic. GregH what bow do you shoot? No reason for asking other than curiosity. I never remember you mentioning much about your equipment. How bout a run-down Bow..sight..etc.

Again no agenda just pure curiosity.
I've talked about this before........ I shot for HCA for 7 years and still own 4 of them. My #1 hunting bow is a 1997 HCA Max Force, 66 lbs. It shoots 2413 XX78s with 85 gr Wasp SST Hammers @ 275 fps. 30" DL. Archers Choice F.O. 4-pin sight. Golden Premier prong rest and I use a Winns-Freeflight release (throw back from my 84# days). I absolutely love this bow!
Thanks..like I said just curious. It's actually cool to see someone who doesn't have every new gadget and still gets it done, with a favorite older model bow.
You know, I've been wanting a new bow for a couple of years now, but I just can't find one that feels as good or as smooth as what I currently have. Speed is not an issue for me as I have a fairly long DL. I prefer tohunt with 4 fixed pins and don't want them sitting right on top of each other. I like 275 with fixed BHs. One of these days I'llget one!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Those pictures posted of all of the dinks lined up in that roomlook like awall of shame.
And why is that?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think another misconception is that those who say "let em grow" automatically want a mature buck behind every tree. Hardly the case, I think most just want a legitimate chance of seeing and having the opportunity to pursue mature bucks. In MANY, MANY places thier numbers are just so few. In places where there are huntable numbers, it is still far from a cake walktoactually get one.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Kind of harsh James. I have a wall full of those too. You need time to mature as a hunter if that's what you choose to do.

Quick Reply: Question for "mature buck" advocates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.