Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for "mature buck" advocates >

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Question for "mature buck" advocates

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

As a side question kinda off topic. GregH what bow do you shoot? No reason for asking other than curiosity. I never remember you mentioning much about your equipment. How bout a run-down Bow..sight..etc.

Again no agenda just pure curiosity.
I've talked about this before........ I shot for HCA for 7 years and still own 4 of them. My #1 hunting bow is a 1997 HCA Max Force, 66 lbs. It shoots 2413 XX78s with 85 gr Wasp SST Hammers @ 275 fps. 30" DL. Archers Choice F.O. 4-pin sight. Golden Premier prong rest and I use a Winns-Freeflight release (throw back from my 84# days). I absolutely love this bow!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are forced to hunt in an area devoid of trophy bucks, you could strive to kill bucks that are the best in your area. These would be considered trophy bucks in my mind. Just one way of looking at it
Exactly, I will confess to, in the past, holding out for a buck of porportions that were unrealistic for the area I was in. The couple of good bucks I past up that season still make me shake my head. I can still see thebig 8 point that walked directly below me and I never reached for the bow.

Shooting baskets ain't my problem but sometimes pulling the trigger on a good on is. The trials and tribulations of a one tag State.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

4 1/2 year old and older bucks, by their very nature are more challenging to hunt. It's like hunting a different species.

If the woods were "littered with them I would think that it would be somewhat easier to kill one, but I can't say for sure. I have never been in woods littered with mature bucks. Has anyone?
Don't get me wrong Greg. I also think that a mature whitetail is a different animal, but I also think that a large part of the challenge is because they are not plentiful in the woods. The are sparse for the most part.

I think it's contradictory to preach "let emgo so they can grow" while at the same time saying how big of a challenge it is to kill a "mature" whitetail.Is it the challenge or the horns that one is after?

If it were the challenge, then I can't understand the "let em grow so they can grow" argument. If it's the Horns, then I don't know why those people just don'tgo to a fenced ranch.
Sure you do........ If I just wanted the horns, I'd go to a petting zoo.

1) Wild animals are more challenging than tame ones.

2) Old animals are more challenging than young ones.

3) Old animals have bigger horns than young ones (for the most part).
Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

As a side question kinda off topic. GregH what bow do you shoot? No reason for asking other than curiosity. I never remember you mentioning much about your equipment. How bout a run-down Bow..sight..etc.

Again no agenda just pure curiosity.
I've talked about this before........ I shot for HCA for 7 years and still own 4 of them. My #1 hunting bow is a 1997 HCA Max Force, 66 lbs. It shoots 2413 XX78s with 85 gr Wasp SST Hammers @ 275 fps. 30" DL. Archers Choice F.O. 4-pin sight. Golden Premier prong rest and I use a Winns-Freeflight release (throw back from my 84# days). I absolutely love this bow!
Thanks..like I said just curious. It's actually cool to see someone who doesn't have every new gadget and still gets it done, with a favorite older model bow.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

See Gus thats where you lost me..it's the challenge of taking a buck with a "trophy" set of horns.

The horns (antlers for purists) mean nothing alone

and a challenge without a prize that you desire, is a challenge to whom?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Spike

I don't judge another bowhunters harvest. I know that any, every and all deer harvested with archery equipment is a trophy.I shoot a doe for the freezer and then go after a big one.I zero in on a big one and hunt him. sometimes I get him sometimes I don't. I don't cry if I don't get him. I think that in the world we live in it is not important what size of deer you hunt, it just is important that you do hunt and pass it on. I will say I think it is very important to harvest a doe or two. We all must do our part to help manage the herd.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM

HEY POPS.. if you are on respond to this!!!! IIGHT HOMES!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tina.havel

What you doing here?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: tina.havel

What you doing here?
Hey don't let us interupt your little family reunion..
Old 03-05-2008, 01:40 PM

What r YOU doin here?? just kidding im in the computer lab at school.

Quick Reply: Question for "mature buck" advocates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.